Problem unscrewing red filter from Bonica Snapper Camcorder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sytech

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi Mike,

I am currently in Bonaire and used the camera for the first time.

The scenes were herky jerky because I have to learn how best to hold and aim the camera and that will come with practice.

However what I did record looks pretty good and clear. 1 problem I have is that the red filter was screwed on and is "off" 1 thread and as a result the space between the red filter and the encased lens shows some water.

i am trying to unscrew the filter but I don't want to force it. Any advice on doing this?

Thanks,

Sy

Hi Sy,

Great to hear that you are on a trip! Feel free to post your photo/video and share with us here!

The filter is a wet filter so it's designed to be applied in water. A method shared from another diver is that he added the filter in the water tank first before dive.

You can gently rotate the filter backwards bit by bit so it won't cross with the frame thread too roughly. You can also use the tool clip (found in common tool box) to add more power in removing the filter.

To make the filter go onto the housing more smoothly, you can apply some lubricant like WD-40 on the frame and filter.

Great Dive,
Mic

Hi Mike,

I have had no success in unscrewing it yet and will bring it to the dive shop for them to try.

So, if I understand you correctly the "air space" between the inside side of the red filter and the outside side of the hard housing in front of the camera lens is supposed to be filled with water?

Please confirm.

Thanks,

Sy

Hi Sy,

Great to hear that you are on a trip! Feel free to post your photo/video and share with us here!

The filter is a wet filter so it's designed to be applied in water. A method shared from another diver is that he added the filter in the water tank first before dive.

You can gently rotate the filter backwards bit by bit so it won't cross with the frame thread too roughly. You can also use the tool clip (found in common tool box) to add more power in removing the filter.

To make the filter go onto the housing more smoothly, you can apply some lubricant like WD-40 on the frame and filter.

Great Dive,
Mic

I have the same problem. In the BVIs it was stuck so hard even the mechanic on the liveaboard dive boat couldn't get it off. All my videos after the first dive had a bubble across the middle of the image. I am looking for a replacement filter - one that snaps on, but in the meantime I lube the threads (with chapstick, in a pinch) and put it on ever so lightly. To remove it, I carry a plier in my dive bag.

Hi JeriJJ, thank you for letting me know of this issue.

Have you got a replacement lens frame (the one on the housing which the filter is mounted on) from us before?

With the replacement lens frame, the filter will fit a lot better.

Please feel free to contact me at 1877-220-2312 (9-4pm pacific time) or outdoor@bonicadive.com so I can help you further. :)

Back
Top Bottom