Problem trimming out with two deco tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've never done it that way because one of my early instructors calls it being slefish, and it really is if you think about it. It may be more comfortable for you having one on each side, but you're basically telling your buddy they're on their own in a situation where you need to donate the long hose since it's trapped.

Huh??? You can dive with a 40 on the right without trapping the hose. I did it without an issue. You need to be careful of course how and when you route the hose relative to when the tank is clipped off, but a 40 on the right does not presuppose that the long-hose is trapped.

Are you wearing any lead at all? Where is the lead now? You can slide a 3lb brick onto the right side waist strap behind the canister light as a little bit of a counterbalance. But you can also just dive a bunch and you will get the hang of carrying two 80s on the left. I would not put an 80 on the right as it traps your long hose.
I use double hp100 so I don’t need any extra weight at all. I had about 30 real dives with single al80 and more practice dives. I didn’t have the same feeling when I started dive with single al80.

I agree that I need more practice. Could you give me some tips about how to do it? Can you hover without moving your fins?
Can I hover without moving my fins? Sure. My tip is simply keep diving.

Boulderjohn's advice (getting used to it) is 100% valid and is an important part of the process, but there are a couple of aspects worth knowing in advance - as your tech instructor will hopefully show you.

I'm in the camp of all decos and stages on the left - when they are 'up front', otherwise, they are leashed and stowed for when I need them. I don't wear any bottles on the right side because of the long-hose issue. Ask your instructor about leashing, if it doesn't come up.

A few years ago I took a cave stage course (using an additional AL80) and it significantly changed the way I carry stages and deco tanks for o/w tech dives. I found that the closer the stage/deco was to my body, the more comfortable it was. One of the rigging options shown to us by the cave instructor was to put a bungee loop under the left chest D-ring that holds the valve/first stage a lot closer in. We also ended up shortening the tails on the stages. I think the less the bottle dangles and swings, the better. Just keep in mind that you still have to be able to check the SPG.

FYI - my philosophy is that if you're going to drag a stage or deco bottle - fill it up. Never ever heard of a problem with carrying too much gas, unless it was taking a bottle you didn't actually need according to the dive plan (which includes contingencies). I'd much rather get used to handling full bottles than take one not filled just because I wanted it neutral until I use it.

Good luck and enjoy the course!

Huh??? You can dive with a 40 on the right without trapping the hose. I did it without an issue. You need to be careful of course how and when you route the hose relative to when the tank is clipped off, but a 40 on the right does not presuppose that the long-hose is trapped.

sure its not a guarantee you’ll trap the long hose. But its very possible. And with 2 bottles on the left you have zero chance. And 2 bottles on the left is not difficult at all. Also lean on left and hot on right or vice versa can lead to complacency in proper gas checks aince the diver can assume what bottles where. Though complacency happens with both on the left in some people as well.

sure its not a guarantee you’ll trap the long hose. But its very possible. And with 2 bottles on the left you have zero chance. And 2 bottles on the left is not difficult at all. Also lean on left and hot on right or vice versa can lead to complacency in proper gas checks aince the diver can assume what bottles where. Though complacency happens with both on the left in some people as well.

Lots of things are ‘very possible’. It’s technical diving. With diligence (which should always be practiced) a 40 on the right causes no long-hose issues.

I never said anything about practicing ‘lean left/rich right’. Mix should always be verified period.

Just a few thoughts. I no longer tech dive so I’ve got no skin in the game any longer.

Can I hover without moving my fins? Sure. My tip is simply keep diving.
I’ll practice more. Did you do something with the air in your wing like moving more air to the left wing?

I’ll practice more. Did you do something with the air in your wing like moving more air to the left wing?
Not consciously.

Allow me to explain, using an example that has nothing to do with scuba. I used to be a pretty decent volleyball player, and I was certified by the United States Volleyball Association as a coach. When a setter sets the ball, the ideal set has all 10 fingers strike the ball simultaneously and release simultaneously, with the ball leaving the hands with no spin. With a skilled setter, that will happen even after the ball came to the setter spinning wildly after a shanked pass. What happens is that each of the 10 fingers reacts differently to the spinning ball, resulting in that beautiful dead seam set.

That is a conditioned reflex. In a reflex, the body reacts to a stimulus without going through the brain. The signal goes from the stimulus to the spinal cord and back. The brain literally does not know exactly what is happening. It develops through a natural process that is the result of repeated practice. With technical diving, you will develop other reflexes as well. For example, you will maneuver the air bubble in your drysuit to maintain trim without realizing you are doing it. You may at some point realize that you are tilting your left shoulder at times to release air from the suit without really thinking about it. You will change the bend in your knee to adjust the distance of your feet from your center of gravity.

It happens. It just takes time.

As boulderjohn said.
Sometimes it is just about experience...
Dive, dive and dive and it will click without you realising it clicked:):)

+1 on shortening up the leashes on the stages - usually on one of your 80s with the long tailed 80 riding above. Basically loop the normal tail of the stage under the rubber hose of the stage strap. Now the ring of the bolt snap is flush with the tank but it can still be loosened at any time by unthreading the tail.

PS I am speculating that this helps a little because you don't have that dynamic 5lbs of tank/gas/reg swinging around as much yanking on you

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom