Pro Plus 2 - Took on water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dive op did not have extra analog gauges that were not being used. Breaking up a set would have been a perfect choice, except for the fact that it was a rather busy week. I was offered use of two of the DMT's personal rigs (they weren't diving those days) and our instructor gave me full use of his backup computer (Suunto Vyper) to get me through the dives.

scubatoys:
I think what the other posters were talking about is instead of and entire setup, they could have unscrewed the gauge and tossed it on yours...

That was exactly what I was thinking. It sucks they they couldn't work that out so you could continue to use your personal regs.

I made my first 50+ dives with my PP2 and no analog backup. I took it on a trip to Roatan and another to Belize. I knew it was a point of failure, but accepted it as a risk. Nothing ever went wrong with it. Last fall I picked up an Atom 2.0 so I would have two computers in case one failed. Not only would I be able to monitor my gas supply, but I'd also be able to continue diving without having to resort to using the tables. Yes, I'm lazy, but I also want to be able to do 5-6 dives per day.

I'm glad to hear ScubaToys and Oceanic stepped up. I expected nothing less. Anytime I need something my LDS doesn't carry, I always go to ScubaToys. They are fantastic to deal with.

As far as Oceanic goes, I'm their biggest cheerleader here in town. Every diver I come across who is on the fence I've talked into Oceanic gear. Personally I use an Oceanic Probe BC, the PP2, Atom 2.0, Air XS2 octo, and 3 Delta IV regs. I REALLY like their gear! I've never heard of anybody saying anything about their customer service that wasn't stellar.

Only 24 days until I get to go to ROATAN! :D

Sorry to hear your story about the PP2. I have about 50 dives on mine with no probs. I do have a UWATEC digital bottom timer and an Oceanic analog pressure gauge around in case the PP2 craps out.

elim

Oceanic.... please PLEASE make a low cost analog SPG...one that will be compatible with the quick disconnect of the Pro Plus 2. I want to put this in my gear bag in case my computer fails, or the batteries die, or whatever....

oh, and List me as a co-designer on the patent paperwork!

OR - provide me with the blue prints for the quick disconnect connector... I'll make my own quick disconnect analog SPG setup!

I've got a back up depth gage and dive timer on my wrist... I need a back up SPG. I guess I could buy a analog SPG/hose and use it AND the PP2 simultaneously... but I don't want too...and that's another hose on my reg.

-Doug B.

Doug,

Your post expresses the exact reason why we just upgraded from the PP2 to the VT3 w/ analog gauge as backup. Since Oceanic doesn't make a compact pressure gauge I went with a Dive Rite (2759) gauge to complement the VT3. If I ever have trouble with the transmitter all I need to do is either reference the analog gauge or disconnect the transmitter and replace with port cover. My watch acts as a redundant depth gauge and bottom timer...

Before our next serious dive trip I'm going to be buying backup computers. While I can't say what brand or model just yet, I'm not planning on doing anything serious with a single computer anymore.

Every day I see more logic and sensibility in the DIR system and more issues with the recreational diver configuration....

I'm an engineer by trade. I've made my own drawing for the "quick release connector" needed to use a analog SPG with the PP2 quick-release system.

I've got a few local job shops to draw upon .... If it were not for the helix angle-slot, it would be very easy to make... and very cheap. As such, the connector will easily cost $120 in prototype quantities. In "high" quantity, it would be a $10 part. In automotive quantities, it would be a $2 part.

Anyone interested?

Wouldn't it be easier and far cheaper to bring some lube, a wrench, and a standard SPG w/ HP connector than to try to jury rig a quick release connector for an SPG? Is there a compelling reason why not to use the Pro Plus 2 on a training dive, as you can always ignore the dives when downloading data from the computer.

As for me - I am eagerly awaiting our new VT3 computers, transmitters, and standard pressure gauge for backup.

I found out today that Oceanic makes a QD fitting. One of our instructors ordered a replacement QD hose for his PP2. It came with a threaded female QD connector in the hose. The hoses did not come with these 9 months ago, and we were all surprised.

It would be a simple matter to take an analog SPG or console and connect it to the screw threads. Then, when you don't want to use your PP2 (or it dies), you can attach your backup SPG. That's exactly what the instructor is going to do now that I pointed it out to him.

If you guys contact Doug, he can probably find a part number.

I would suggest calling up Oceanic service department or ask you Local authorized Oceanic dealer before you start getting into a habit of switching back and forth on the gauge end. There is a chance that you could overtighten the gauge and make it useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom