Pro Ear Masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Ear Pro mask should not affect the equilization process much, except that the ears are dry. But the pressure will still be there, and need to be equilized. That is, unless someone has a hole in the eardrum. In this case, these will allow him/her to dive when without them diving could lead to middle ear infections. But the quilization process would still need to be done for those with intact ear drums.

SeaRat

I have the IST version (oceanic makes the other I think) and I use it because my ears are really sensitive to cold. They can leak as pointed out above but if you get the hood that is made for them it really helps. I don't use it all the time cause I am in warmer water now and I can't use it when I am instructing.

The mask itself isn't great (it fit me perfectly, but the FOV is pretty limited). BUT, the ear cups do work. After getting several dives under my belt I found that I didn't need the pro-ear mask anymore...but when I used it, it definitely did make equalizing easier-plus no cold water in my ears.

...and I can't use it when I am instructing.

:dropmouth:

Please explain that to us. Why can't you use that mask when you are instructing?

I use it everyday while instructing!

It is a pain in the butt to demonstrate mask removal and replacement with an ear cup mask with the hood.

Has anyone ever tried these? Do they actually work? I have troubles equalizing occasionally after repetitive dives and was considering picking one up.

After how many "descents" / repetitive dives do you run into troubles? From what I have seen everybody at some point reaches a limit sooner or later. If you feel equalizing is more troubling for you than others and are sure it isn't bad technique it might be worth visiting a doctor.

In my case it turned out to be a mild allergy/irritation which was fixed by something as simple as a nasal spray.

It is a pain in the butt to demonstrate mask removal and replacement with an ear cup mask with the hood.

So far I agree, but this demonstration has to be done only once during each OWD course and at least my agency allows me to have my assistant doing the demonstration (of course under my direct supervision). :)
So why not using it while teaching?
Even if you do all the demonstrations yourself, there are four more confined water sessions without this exercise and four open water dives, where you don't have to demonstrate anything (that's it at least with my agency). :wink:

Well, like I referred to before, I now live in HI and don't need it. :D I could use it here but I don't need to. As for an assistant, I am an independent instructor and there is only one "real" dive shop here and that is another story.

If I were diving in colder water or if I had a student that had problems that could not be solved any other way then I would go back to the Pro Ear.

BTW, if you are having trouble clearing, you might try Olive Leaf Spray before your dives.

Finally it’s everyone’s own decision to use that mask or not. I wanted to point out only, that it is absolutely possible to use that mask while teaching scuba courses as well.

The Ear Pro mask should not affect the equilization process much, except that the ears are dry. But the pressure will still be there, and need to be equilized. That is, unless someone has a hole in the eardrum. In this case, these will allow him/her to dive when without them diving could lead to middle ear infections. But the quilization process would still need to be done for those with intact ear drums.

SeaRat

you will still need to equalize as you go deeper due to pressure changes but it does have a significant effect on equalization. when using the mask it wll be air impinging on your eardrum and not water. that alone will make equalization easier but it will still be necessary to equlaize as i myself have experienced with the mask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom