Pro-Dive Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tee_jay

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone done any diving with Pro-Dive? [http://www.prodive-cairns.com.au] I'm thinking about doing my advanced course with them early next year and would like to book early, so any information would be appreciated. They also seem to have a decent price, AU$650 for the course, all equipment, and 3 days/2 nights out on their boat.

Hi:

Yes, I have dove with Pro Dive in Cairns and have sent lots of people to dive with them. They are really great, nice boats, great Divemasters, good food and great pricing, (even for us Yanks!). Never had a complaint......I highly recommend!

Mary Jane

Yes, I used them 3 years ago when we did a liveaboard out of Port Douglas. The Diversity was a 5 day/4night cat that went to Osprey/Lizard/GBR. It was a great time and trip, I wouldn't mind doing it again.
I'd post some pics but they won't upload :>(

In 2001 I dove with Prodive outta Cairns. There was much to be said for their boats, food and fun dive crew as they were great!! On the down side the part of the Great Barrior Reef that they took us to, during the 3 day 9 dive trip, was much to be desired. I could not believe how dead the reefs were. The group and many that hung with on the boat, felt the same. Again the up side... even though there were over 25 on the boat there were a great mix of people. 12 different nationalities and that was fun.

Bottom line...Would I go out with them again? No, I would get a better recommendation.

Change of course:

I am starting to plan my June 2007 group dive to the Coral Sea,,,, who has been diving with Taka/Dive_Cairns or ATS out of Cairns?

My objective is to dive several of the reefs there: Cod Hole, Osprey Reef, Pixie Pinnacle, Holmes Reef with my group of about 10-12. The above dive ops are the ones that my tour agent has contact with and the ones that I will need to deal with also.

Tarzana

tarzana:
I am starting to plan my June 2007 group dive to the Coral Sea,,,, who has been diving with Taka/Dive_Cairns or ATS out of Cairns?

My objective is to dive several of the reefs there: Cod Hole, Osprey Reef, Pixie Pinnacle, Holmes Reef with my group of about 10-12. The above dive ops are the ones that my tour agent has contact with and the ones that I will need to deal with also.

Tarzana

I have been to the Coarl Sea. Try looking at liveaboards that leave from Port Douglas.
The northern Ribbons are good, anything from Lizard Island north. Shark Reef, Osprey reef, the farther the north is better.

caymaniac:
I have been to the Coarl Sea. Try looking at liveaboards that leave from Port Douglas.
The northern Ribbons are good, anything from Lizard Island north. Shark Reef, Osprey reef, the farther the north is better.
Caymaniac,

Thanks for the info. Will see if my agent has any connections with liveaboards outta Port Douglas that go far north to the excellent sites... Pt. Douglas looks close to Cairns on the map.. an hour or so by land???

Does anyone have any suggestions of specific liveaboards that leave outt Port Douglas?

tarzana:
Caymaniac,

Thanks for the info. Will see if my agent has any connections with liveaboards outta Port Douglas that go far north to the excellent sites... Pt. Douglas looks close to Cairns on the map.. an hour or so by land???

Does anyone have any suggestions of specific liveaboards that leave outt Port Douglas?

Port D vs. Cairns doesn't matter much if it is a trip to Osprey. The two nicest boats in the area are Mike Ball and Tusa's Spirit of Freedom. I have only been out on Ball because the schedule is better for locals. I have heard good things about Taka but it is much more budget oriented. Ribbon reefs are okay at best. Osprey is much better. The other coral see reefs (not the GBR stuff) should be good as well but are not as commonly dived as Osprey. Osprey itself is huge and you wouldn't be repeating any sites on a week long trip anyway.

RTodd, sounds good.. will look into those liveaboards to see if my agent can accommodate me with a decent price.

tarzana

I did a liveaboard to the Coral Sea about 12 years ago and can't wait to get back.

A friend and I recently booked a trip to the Far Northern reefs Nimrod

As a warm up, and because the trip is only 8 days, we booked a few days with Qucksilver out of Port Douglas. http://www.silverseries.com.au/

I did a lot of homework for this trip and will post a review when we return.

Back
Top Bottom