Pro/con Suunto Eon Steel & Petrel 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have an Eon Steel, so maybe I can't really compare them, but very few people have owned and used both. I have had a number of Suunto computers in the past. They were OK, but I am VERY happy with the Petrel. All the points were made above (the algorithm stuff is less important if you are not a tech diver, as the OP's dive count suggests).

I have never seen ANY company with such amazing tech support - had a minor question, emailed them on Sunday night and got a reply in 30 minutes.

So unless you absolutely need wireless AI, the Petrel is a great dive computer.

Though not on your list you might also look at the Ocenanic VTX. That said, I own a Petrel and have dove different Sunnto computers but not the EON. IMHO the Suunto is way overpriced. So ridiculously overpriced that I would not consider it.

Thank you guys. I have just ordered a pettrel and I am looking forward to using itThank you all for the input

One more diver on the right track. Enjoy your Petrel!

As an Eon user...
I've just come off a liveaboard with 20 repetitive dives. All 60 mins+ and most of the dives were down to 40m. Not once did I suffer any limiting of NDL against other computers

so far it hasn't disappointed.

Price: PetrelCustomer service: PetrelCheap/convenient battery: PetrelProven: PetrelNo lock out: PetrelBluetooth: PetrelIn the interest of transparency, I own a Petrel but that's not why I like it. I like it for the reasons above.---------- Post added July 31st, 2015 at 05:49 AM ----------

Although the OP has brought a petrel I as an Eon owner wanted to answer some of those statements.

Customer service: Suunto been good with answering my queries and feedback. No issues so far with computer.

Eon Battery rechargeable using same lead as used to download dives and carry out initial configuration. 20 dive liveaboard only needed one charge ( only because I dont let it get to minimum limit)Proven. Yes Eon is new but Suunto have been making computers for a long time and aren't going to risk their name by launching a bad product

Lockout: my favourite. Eon will lock you out for 48 hrs IF you break the ceiling of a mandotoary stop for more than 3 mins. By mandotoary they mean deco stop. Not deep stop nor safety stop. Deco. If you bust your deco obligation ceiling by 3minss, your likely to be having an issue anyway, perhaps heading for a chamber ride so that lock out not an issue. If by accident you need locking out to stop you deco diving until you've had proper training.

Bluetooth - not a pre requisite more a nice to have?

I would say that an Eon only really comes into its own when using the transmitters. Judging by previous comments on other threads the price might be hard to accept by some.

Lockout: my favourite. Eon will lock you out for 48 hrs IF you break the ceiling of a mandotoary stop for more than 3 mins. By mandotoary they mean deco stop. Not deep stop nor safety stop. Deco. If you bust your deco obligation ceiling by 3minss, your likely to be having an issue anyway, perhaps heading for a chamber ride so that lock out not an issue. If by accident you need locking out to stop you deco diving until you've had proper training.

This right here makes it dangerous. There are plenty of situations where you might make an informed decision to cut the conservativeness of your profile. Any computer that locks you out for being a thinking diver has no business being used for dives where deco is possible.

Although the OP has brought a petrel I as an Eon owner wanted to answer some of those statements.

Customer service: Suunto been good with answering my queries and feedback. No issues so far with computer.

Eon Battery rechargeable using same lead as used to download dives and carry out initial configuration. 20 dive liveaboard only needed one charge ( only because I dont let it get to minimum limit)Proven. Yes Eon is new but Suunto have been making computers for a long time and aren't going to risk their name by launching a bad product

Bluetooth - not a pre requisite more a nice to have?

I would say that an Eon only really comes into its own when using the transmitters. Judging by previous comments on other threads the price might be hard to accept by some.

For me the things I wanted and listed as "pros" were pre requisites hence choosing a Petrel. I'm glad you like your Eon I'm sure it's a nice computer just not what I was looking for. Horses for courses and all that. Cheers.

---------- Post added August 8th, 2015 at 12:54 AM ----------

Or should I say different strokes for different folks. As long as you get enjoyment out of what ever you use its all good, that's the whole point of diving after all.

I used to dive with the Vyper for many years and like yourself, used it on liveaboards diving similar profiles. I never had a problem with the SuuntoRGBM or found it limiting my dve times (given adequate SI).

The lock-out function though can be a hassle and is one of the things I disliked about the Vyper. It wasn't due to violating any deco obligations or the like but if you dive your computer in gauge mode (for tech dives) and then need to switch back to Air/Nitrox mode.. it will lock you out for 48 hours. This used to drive me crazy! I don't need my computer to baby sit me if I'm making informed decisions on how to use it. Not sure if the EON does that as well but it's something to be aware of.

Now I just leave my Suunto in gauge mode and use it as a backup on tech dives with my Petrel as my main computer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom