Pro/Con list

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FightingDrag

Registered
Reaction score
of dry / wet

CAN i get a wetsuit for surfing/freediving/scuba?
Whats the diff feelings between a dry suit and a scuba, i mean does one compress onto you less?? or what?

what im asking, is, why should i have a diff suit for scuba, than i do near the surface for surfing and snorkling? Whats the difference at depth, does water pressure really press onto you?

(cause im loving this blue camo, and i totally want a suit like that!)

You can use the same wet suit for diving as surfing. However, if you purchase a surfing suit, it may not offer as much exposure protection as a suit made for diving. I don't know much about the surfing suits, but they might possibly compress more at depth than a dive suit.

You cannot use a surface dry suit for diving. Scuba dry suits have inflators that allow you to offset the squeeze from going to depth. You don't have that option with a surface dry suit. You can hurt yourself pretty seriously if you scuba in a surface dry suit.

Wet suit rubber is made by a variety of methods, not all of which withstand repeated compression/decompression of scuba. The cheaper wet suits, made for surface activities such as kayaking and surfing, will work okay for scuba initially but will break down quickly and offer little thermal protection in the long run.

I am sure that someone who knows the exact details of the different processes and rubbers will chime in soon.

Back
Top Bottom