"pro" (combination) tank valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sandanbob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi!

I did a search, but didn't see anything on this topic. Of course, I might not have used the right search terms. If there's already a thread, please let me know.

My question is- what sort of experiences have people had with the "pro" tank valves? I currently only have yoke style first stages, but would like the flexibility of being able to use DIN if needed, so I am considering getting two of them. I believe that I wouldn't be able to use the full capability of the DIN if I am not using high pressure (3400 psi?) Of course, at $65-$90 each, they aren't the cheapest "accessory", so I wanted to see what experiences others might have had with them.

Thanks!

Bob

The valves are engraved as having 3442PSI Service pressure. Plug in or out it's not an issue. I've used them both ways.

They are $39 each at DGX. They work great for whatever pressure you want to operate at.

They're what I use. A few, mostly older, yoke regs won't fit them.

Try to get inserts that all use the same hex wrench. There are several "standards."

Dive Gear Express has generic ones for $39 and Thermo ones for $50. They often have B-stock Thermo ones in their bargain section for half off. Now is one of those times.

Thank you for the replies! 2airishuman- thank you for the B-stock Thermo valves information.

I use the LH valve for upside down pony and stage bottles mounted on my back and left
and right for sidemount bottles as I like the slightly longer smooth nub for loop bungees

They come in very nice boxes, just threw 10 away in the rubbish what a complete shame

A few, mostly older, yoke regs won't fit them.

With the flat sides and shallow depth of these valves and having just tried a dozen ancient regs that all fit

I wonder to which regs you refer

they're fine, don't worry about it. Only extra charge you MAY face is a VIP on the tanks if the valve gets swapped, so either do it at time of VIP or find a buddy with a transfill whip.

DGX typically has Thermo's on sale for $25 that they've taken out of other tanks they're selling which is where we buy them.
Thermo 3000 Valve, Surplus

I want to thank those who pointed me to DGX (2airishuman and tbone1004.) I ordered three of the Thermo's. That's why I figured asking my question here would be a good idea.

Personally I despise the Thermos - the stupid overpriced crush washer is just lame.

The DGX branded ones with the oring sealed bonnet nut are the bees knees.

Back
Top Bottom