private lessons vs. class

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you think you will have a difficult time or you are having a difficult time ,go private. Sometimes paying for some pool time and paying an instructor $25-$30 for extra tutoring per session is well worth the money.

In most cases , spending a little more for a lot more instruction is well worth it.

When I first started diving 22 years ago I wish I would have had the option of private instruction

As an instructor , I enjoy teaching both private and group.

Ron

I just finished my open water course. You may not need to go private but for all means ask the questions I didn't ask. The course that I took was in a 20 x40 pool with thirteen people in the class. Two dropped out, but when you put eleven students and four or five divemaster/insturctors in that small a pool and only have two hours per class, four classes total, no one got the kind of attention that they should have and the weeker swimmers/divers took up all of the instructors time. The last night of class I watched a woman that I would bet never certifies eat up twenty minutes trying to make herself neutral in the water only to find out that she had two much weight on and we had never covered proper weighting up until this point. The devil is in the details. Find out who is teaching your class how big it is and how much pool time you will have to learn basic skills. My instructor would get fined if we stayed in the pool building an extra fifteen minutes. It was crazy trying to finish up skills, get dressed pack up and get out of the building in fifteen minutes.

I think I have the best of both worlds.

I'm currently taking my OW class and my brother and I decided to go with semi-private classes. We get to learn from each other's questions and mistakes. We also have the comfort of being able to watch each other's awkwardness as we attempt to do what seems to come so naturally to the instructor. Plus, I think having someone else there makes the class less stressful and more fun.

Going semi-private costs us each an additional $75, but I think this was money well spent. And, it was still cheaper than going with private lessons.

The only drawback may be that the classroom session is self-study. But we are both "self-learners" anyway, so that worked out for the best. (Plus, the instructors are available during store hours to answer any questions and explain anything you don't understand.) Besides, we get the same lecture info from the instructor in the pool as we learn the skill! Even better!!!

Since there are only two of us, we get complete attention and assistant or advice on minor issues that I'm sure would be overlooked in a full class.

I'd say if you can hook up with another person, go for semi-private lessons! I'm loving it!!!

if you have a good instructor. You are not getting any more knowledge than from the class... but that is if you have a good instructor to begin with. Now you have someone who is just trying to get you in and out of the course then sure the private instruction would be good. Just my 3 cents worth.... Rich :mean:

Private makes for easy scheduling. Group is least expensive. Both can work. I never teach with large groups. Group dynamics can be a great tool for an instructor

I attended a group class from my LDS. Although there were 12 students, we had two instructors and three assistants.

Day one in the pool was a complete disaster for me. I didn't equalize properly so my ears were in pain, I could not clear my mask (let alone take it off), and I was afraid of the deep end.
Yikes. If my husband had not been attending the course with me, I would not have returned for day two.

Day two, the assistants took me through every skill - step by step - one on one. Waaahoo, success. Their patience was astounding.

I later learned there were several others students that made errors and had problems. But my fears were so overwhembling I never noticed or learned from them. What the other students did contribute to my success was friendliness and support. We all cheered each other on.

Good news, I am now certified and loving it. Good Luck.
-DD

I would not assume that just because you are paying extra to be an only student that the instructor will dance to your flute on scheduling. One of the instructors that I work with specializes in private classes thru a private health club. He is juggling lots of private lessons with people with weird schedules, retirees, and students who didn't finish in January & just got back to town & must have that late morning Wed. slot that you had tentatively pencilled in. You may end up dragging the class out over months as the 2 of you try to find time every few weeks to meet for that one last pool session or checkout dive.

I'd say STRUCTURE trumps the whole debate over whether to be in a smallish class or alone. If you are considering a large class, the number of AIs may influence your education.

We ended up with the best of both worlds... we found an instructor with a "self-paced" class. While we are able to do our book work at our own pace we share pool-time with others who may be doing work at the same time. We get the private instruction but may see others do interesting things in the pool!

That sounds like a good plan, Scott.
As an instructor, I would say that group lessons are somewhat more beneficial (at least the Confined Water portions) The group lessons do a few things that privates don't.
1. They provide a more accurate feel of what to expect later. Most people, upon getting certed, go on trips with groups. The group class gives one that feel early on.
2. Most privates only last a few days. Technically, with a good student, I could complete all of the confined water requirements in 2 days. This eliminates repetition of gear set-up, tear-down. Something which I find very beneficial. Most group classes are done in at least 5 sessions, more chances to touch and use the gear, and more time in the water to gain familiarity.
3. If a student in a group is nervous, chances are, they are not alone. The group class also serves as a support group.

Not to say that there's anything wrong with privates! They pay better! :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom