Private Boat to The Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chipb

Registered
Reaction score
My dive buddy in Florida just bought a boat that is suitable to make the run over to the Bahamas. It is not big enough to live in. What would be ideal is a hotel with a marina where we could dock, fill tanks, sleep, eat, and go out in the boat to dive. Anyone ever done a trip like that? I would be interested in any info such as islands to visit, hotels, anyone who does this regularly or a group that we could tag along with to learn the ropes. TIA.

Chip

I've done the crossing between the Bahamas and FL in a private boat a couple times.

I'm betting that if you're boat is not big enough to live on for a few days, then it's prob not really big enough for the crossing if the weather gets rough. being in a small boat in 6-8 foot seats is pretty rough for a 60-80 mile or more crossing. Seeing that he just bought the boat also doesn't mean it's time for an ocean crossing.

However, Bimini is the closest island to the US with any population on it. It's got a couple dive shops, marinas, places to stay, etc. Diving is good. I've only been in the dive shop on North Bimini and had such a negative experience that I couldn't reccomend them. They are also extremely high priced on air fills, etc, but sinc ethey are the only shop on the island, they charge what they want.

You do know that the customs fee for the bahamas was raised a couple years ago don't you? It's $300/boat now, up from $65-$80 or so a few years back.

Ditto what Mike said. Unless you're a pretty fair mariner and the sea state generous, a smallish boat's best suited for Bimini only.

But hey, the diving's great there. Bimini's main claim to fame, the Hemingray Bar, burnt down recently, but there's a couple other night life joints.

I would also recommend Bimini. The Big Game Club is a marina hotel and Bimini Undersea is right there with their compressor next to the docks. Air fills are $8 - I don't consider this outrageous - they are providing air fills on a remote island! People lose site of what it costs to function on an island where everything has to be shipped in and resources are limited. Another marina/hotel I would suggest is the Sea Crest. I would also recommend reading up on entering Bimini's harbour and maybe additionally contacting one of the dock managers, Bimini Undersea, or perhaps Blackbeard's to ask for up-to-date information.

[side note: the bar that unfortunately burnt down in January was The Compleat Angler. The owner, and remarkable Bahamian - Julian Brown, was also lost to the fire - my thoughts are with his family]

As said by Mike s the customs fee has shot the Bahamas in the foot,as years back on Fridays from WestPalmBeach we would cross in groups 10-15 boats and head over to West End Grand Bahama home to the old Jack Tarr resort and harbor for larger boats,now it has a new resort old Bahama bay.
The custom tax has cut the folks with the smaller vessels out, you must clear customs via West End on GrandBahama, Pay fees,and have passport,ie DL and BC for a short time yet but a passport is the best, boat registration and not get cocky with agents as they can give you a real hard time!
Oh the sea's can get rolling as you cross the Gulf stream and then you have the chance to get jacked, This is why boats in groups have done these trips in groups for years.
Be safe,
Brad

Dive_Girl PNW:
I would also recommend reading up on entering Bimini's harbour and maybe additionally contacting one of the dock managers, Bimini Undersea, or perhaps Blackbeard's to ask for up-to-date information.

What she says above is a very good comment. If you've never entered Bimini's harbor, then it is best to be briefed on it first and have a good set of charts of how to enter, what the markers are, etc. Otherwise you'll learn where the sand bar is just outside the harbor!

Back
Top Bottom