Private boat out to Flower Gardens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The sanctuary staff were out recently. They reported a lot of bleaching (which is where NOAA got the info for it's Caribbean mass-bleaching warning), and broken coral heads flopping about.

I don't think size is major the factor, it's design and construction. The coast Guard has all weather 47 foot Motor Lifeboats http://www.systems.textron.com/index.html?topframe/top.html&leftframe/productsmenu.html&mainframe/products/tmls/mlb.html that would be quite safe for trips 100 miles offshore. And there are lots of pleasure craft such as trawlers from Mainship http://www.mainship.com/models/index.html and Nordic Tug. Lots of these trawlers have crossed oceans. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't go very far out on a Bayliner, Sea Ray, Chris Craft, etc. I would want something with twin engines, preferably diesel, watertight compartments, and proper driveshaft (not an i/o). Although I'd consider a large, twin outboard driven, RIB. They're really difficult to sink and with the right setup, can be self righting if capsized (the local to me CCG base has one).

Ha, when it comes to the Flower Gardens, "regular trips" is pretty dang relative. I still haven't gotten to dive out there. Five weather-cancelled trips and counting...:banghead:

Thanks again for all the replies.

Groundhog246, can you recommend any good books on the subject? I am guessing that boats such as SeaRays are less fit because of the hull design, e.g. modified vee-hull as opposed to trawlers which have deep-vee hulls (if that's correct)? Or, are there other design features you had in mind?

I had seen some older 42 and 46' SeaRays with deep-vee hulls, rather than modified vee hullls, I think, and their fuel tanks/range appeared sufficient (500 gal.) and were powered by diesels. If the considerations are too multi-faceted, perhaps I'll fall back on that request for a good primer/book on the subject! I guess, I was just hoping to find a good-sized diesel with a decent cruising speed to get out there in 4 1/2 -5 hours (maybe 22-25 knots cruising speed), but the trawlers all seem to be much slower.

Cary Loughman

I'm much more into sail than power, so can't offer any good books. I'd suggest hooking up with the local Power Squadron. There are number of factors that enter into offshore designs. Hull form is one, construction is another (I'll take a good solid glass hull over a cored hull any day). One of the biggies is a combination of adequate freeboard, large scuppers and a design that keeps water from the interior of the boat. If you get caught on the stern by a large wave (or eve bow into one where you play submarine for a few seconds), will it fill the the whole boat and drive you under, or will it just fill the aft quarterdeck and quickly drain through adequately sized scuppers? And is the boat well enough constructed to take the pounding?
In the area where I sail, thunderstorms can hit with less than 20 minutes warning (from a nice sunny day to a raging hell in that 20 minutes), so I would never leave the dock in anything that couldn't withstand the storm. Talked to a guy last week whose folks used to have a big, twin V8 powered cigarette hull capable of sustained speeds of 90mph. They did a trip across the bay one day when a storm caught them out, keeping just ahead of the leading edge of the storm. It alternated from rain on the stern platform to about a 100yard lead on the edge of the rain/storm front for a nearly 30 mile dash at max throttle. Outrunning it in anything slower would not have been possible, in which case it better be capable of surviving it. I have no idea what it's like in Florida or off the coast there. Maybe you don't get such movement and a boat capable of 25 knots might be enough to let you drive away from the worst of it and might even be a better choice than a trawler with a max speed of 10 to 12 knots. On that, you need local knowledge.

CFL,
I have no idea how much money you want to spend or how new the boats needs to be. If I ever get another boat I will probably get a 31 Bertram. They are older boats but to be they are one of the best boats every built.

Last summer I made several trips from Freeport to within 20 knots of flower garden on his 29' Striper which has twin outboards. I fely very comfortable on the trip and would go again with no problem. Maybe I was not worried because I have been going offshore from years.

First I just want to said you which the weather have a good trip plan and safety equipment. Seems like on this website there are some people that either want to scare people out of taking chances or do understand that people make long trips fishing all the time.

I'm not trying to scare anyone and will admit that I don not know the waters in that area. I boat (sail) and dive on the Great lakes and there's a Coast Guard all weather lifeboat stationed in the port we sail out of and they are kept extremely busy all summer by those who go out in inadequate boats and or/ with no idea what they're doing (you just turn the key and steer, right?) and no training etc. I am constantly amazed at how many survive their stupidity.

Watching the weather is great, but where I am, it can go from a nice sunny day with 8 to 10 knot winds to a raging thunderstorm with over 50 knot winds and 10 to 12 foot seas in under 20 minutes. And that can happen any day all summer (I'd say without exaggerating, that in July and Aug, that nearly half the days the forecast was possible thunderstorms).

As I have frequently stated, it's not a like a car that you can park on the side of the road and walk, call CAA or wait for someone to stop and pick you up. You need a seaworthy boat, the skills to ride out a blow, and enough fuel to safely ride out a blow (you might need to spend hours keeping bow into it, as it wouldn't be safe to turn stern too the wind and waves). A lot of boats have been lost trying to enter port in a storm and getting blown onto the beach. If the boat is suitable, much safer to ride it out in deep water.

Lastly "knots" is speed, 'NM' or nautical miles is distance. I am always reluctant to boat with those who don't know the terminology. Just as I don't dive with people who use 'flippers'. Picky? Yes, but it's kept me alive so far.

Bertrams are a well built boat and designed for offshore use. I've never seen one that didn't have twin diesels (except for the one in our marina 2 years ago, that had the diesels replaced with a pair of big v8's) and solid glass hulls below the waterline.

Since you live in Houston, I suggest taking a few trips with some of the small local charters this spring. You can ask lots of questions and get a feel for a small boat in the chop. During the winter you can look into local courses and good books to read. There should be local clubs that offer some classes. They may not run them until spring but you can ask for good reading in the meantime. For now you can self-study maritime rules, navigation and emergency procedures. Just my 2 cents.

CFL:
Does anyone have any experience taking their own boat out of Freeport or Galveston to the Flower Gardens? My question is: How big of a boat do you need to go out there? Is a 42' or 46' boat enough? The Powerboat Bible suggests (as I recall) that you need at least a 40' (or it possibly said 50') to go out into the deep ocean, e.g. 100 miles or so. It would be nice to hit Stetson or the Flower Gardens on your own schedule, without having to rely on the two charters that go out there.

Any experience or thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cary
I'd say that in general a 40+ foot boat, AND a good captain/skipper would do the trick. Smaller could make the trip, but keep in mind that the weather out there can turn snotty in a relatively short period, and there is nowhere to run when you are 110+ miles out. The issue is how miserable one would be in a smaller boat... I'd plan a trip on a personal boat around the "worst case" scenario. No, I'm not saying that one should ride out in safety and luxury on the QE2, but in my opinion, you're taking a real risk in less than 30 foot boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom