Prison sentences in chili case

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeC

Contributor
Reaction score
The couple who planted a piece of human finger in a bowl of Wendy's chili last year were sentenced. A judge in Santa Clara Superior Court sentenced Anna Ayala and her husband, Jaime Plascencia, to nine years imprisonment for their role in the Wendy’s scam.

Sounds to me like the judge wanted to send a message to others who might try this type of scam.

Fish_Whisperer:
*applauding*

You think nine years locked in a cage is fitting punishment for trying to steal money?

That seems like a very stiff sentence just for giving Wendy's the finger. That was bad but will society be safer now that they're in prison? I don't freekin' think so!

Were these two former arch criminals or something? If they were real bandits with a long criminal history then maybe...

Did you hear about the guys in Africa that murdered the 8 gorilla tourists? They got 15 years. Gimme a break, man...

Nine years MAY be harsh, but chances are, they won't even serve half of that. If the judge handed down that kind of a sentence, I'm sure it wasn't because it was their first offense, and up to that point, they've been such fine, upstanding citizens. Wendy's estimated its losses in revenue in the millions of dollars. This wasn't someone trying to slip a $20 out of the cash register. It was extortion and blackmail of the worst kind.

I tend to agree, nine years is a bit harsh for a property crime where no violence or weapon was used.

It does send the message that if an average Joe type of criminal makes makes a corporate giant mad, they can expect to go to jail for a long time. But...if a white collar criminal working in or running a large corporation steals millions from a whole bunch of average citizens, are they likely to do the same amount of time? With a few possible exceptions they won't. I won't even get into politicians who use their power for personal gain and violate both the law and the public trust.

In any case, violent offenders, muggers, rapists, murderers, child abusers, etc, should get heavier sentences than persons committing property crimes.

Corrupt politicians on the other hand should get a minimum sentence of 20 years with no parole. If you want to send a message, send that one.

neil:
You think nine years locked in a cage is fitting punishment for trying to steal money?

Maybe the couple should have thought about the possible outcome BEFORE they tried their little stunt. Loss of freedom, prison, is one of the possibilities if you commit a crime.

I do think that the judge was sending a message here. I also believe that if this case had happened say back in 1997-2000 before the corporate corruption cases the sentence might have been less. Ken Lay got seven years, but the father/son duo from Adelphia got 20, their case came after the Enron case. I think any corporate fraud case may be handled different now versus 10-15 years back.

As for the killings in Africa, different country, different justice system. To me apples and oranges.

Isn't it amazing what the love of money will cause people to do?

Perhaps they should be forced to work the rest of their lives in a Wendy's drive through. :)

Not that there is anything wrong with working at a fast food restaurant, did it myself a few...........no, make that many many many years ago.

Or give em 10 years cleaning the grease trap. Now that's fitting punishment! :wink:

Instead now we're all going to support THEM in prison.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom