Prism Topaz

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

carlislere

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone dove Steam Machines Prism Topaz CCR? Comments about the unit, likes and dislikes.

I own and currently dive the prism topaz. After about five years of research I decided on the prism. I looked at every unit available, and felt that the prism was the best and safest to date. Money was NOT a consideration, cost is not an issue. The one flaw I find is that the PO2 can not be changed once it is set, unless it is done MANUALY. My unit is currently set with 2 OMS 45's, on 02 bail off reg, and an diluent bail off reg. OMS ss backplate, and a Halycon wing. A custom made SS enclosure was made for my rig by www.techdivetools.com. I have been to 170' on the rig and have had NO problems of any kind. I have NOT been on tri-mix on the rig yet but will by the summer of 2002.

Hope this helps.

JP

Thanks, JP.

Originally posted by jptrealty
I own and currently dive the prism topaz. After about five years of research I decided on the prism. I looked at every unit available, and felt that the prism was the best and safest to date. Money was NOT a consideration, cost is not an issue. The one flaw I find is that the PO2 can not be changed once it is set, unless it is done MANUALY. My unit is currently set with 2 OMS 45's, on 02 bail off reg, and an diluent bail off reg. OMS ss backplate, and a Halycon wing. A custom made SS enclosure was made for my rig by www.techdivetools.com. I have been to 170' on the rig and have had NO problems of any kind. I have NOT been on tri-mix on the rig yet but will by the summer of 2002.

Hope this helps.

JP

I don't agree with you on that, It is a nice unit but the controller has too many restrictions, the main being as you stated, no underwater PO2 control changes (other than the automatic low/high, high/low change)..

I currently dive (and teach) an INSPIRATION and its no less safe than the prism (better adustable PO2 control to boot-but its also missing a full manual mode (monitor only mode)) .

Not being able to change the Po2 setpoints underwater is a drawback when doing Deco, Sure you can fly it manually but I;'d rather just relax on my deco stops..

On my deco stops, I usually boost my PO2 to 1.5-1.55, this way the RB will add O2 and I don't have to control the loop volume.. Otherwise at 20ft You have to do a loop flush, refill with O2 then manuall keep adding O2, to maintain volume, then take an Air break on long decos which again I can now set the inspiration to .5 (flush with diluent) and take a break.

Safety all depends on training and attitude.. If you were looking for the most redundant and advanced RB anywhere you'd have purchased an Infinito 888 (this evolved from the ut-240), They sell for about 18.5k. I have one on order. triple redundant computers and controllers, backup power supplies and full time decompression of 4 inert gasses (nitrogen,helium, Neon, Argon), its been tested to depths over 250 meters.

HI:

Thanks for your imput, I agree with what you said, How do I get this rebreather that evolved from the UT-240?? I was under the impression that the UT240 didn't exits.

Thanks for your help.

JTS,

To read a little about Underseas Technologie's UT 240, click here

To see the Infinito 444, click here.

I will try to find some more info on the 888 model

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom