printable copy of dive tables?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

baggins_69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
my wife is taking the SSI OW course currently and since everything is online these days they no longer hand out physical copies of the dive tables. she just did the section where they cover them (in nowhere near the detail we covered them in when I got certified 25 years ago)

I would like to print out a few sets that she could mark up and practice with.

we both use (or will be using) computers, but having the table knowledge as backup and just conceptually is good.

where can I find a PDF? even the SSI website does not seem to have it, they are in the app, but not in a downloadable or printable format.

Looks like you can get it here.

If not a Google search on "SSI dive tables" will give plenty of options. You'll have to check it against what's in the app to make sure you get something current.

but having the table knowledge as backup and just conceptually is good
Why?

EDIT:
A quick explanation for my comment, and then I will leave it alone.
  1. In learning theory, time and effort spent learning things that are not necessary detracts from your ability to learn what is necessary (see Interference theory).
  2. It is important to learn the basics of decompression theory, and many people mistakenly believe that teaching tables teaches decompression theory. It does not. You don't need to know how to use tables to understand what decompression is all about.
  3. Except for very rare cases, you can't back up a computer with tables. Unless you do a perfectly flat dive with the computer, it will give a reading that will not translate to the tables for a second dive because of its multi-level reading.

Why?

EDIT:
  1. In learning theory, time and effort spent learning things that are not necessary detracts from your ability to learn what is necessary (see Interference theory).
  2. It is important to learn the basics of decompression theory, and many people mistakenly believe that teaching tables teaches decompression theory. It does not. You don't need to know how to use tables to understand what decompression is all about.
  3. Except for very rare cases, you can't back up a computer with tables. Unless you do a perfectly flat dive with the computer, it will give a reading that will not translate to the tables for a second dive because of its multi-level reading.
I was going to add this to my previous post, but @boulderjohn beat me to it.

Tables are fine for illustrating the practical aspects of deco theory like the deeper you go, the less time you have and the value of surface intervals. But being able to work a table is not the same as understanding deco theory.

If you really want to understand deco theory, then study that directly. Otherwise, the time you would spend on the tables is much better spent on understanding the operation of your dive computer.

Here's a good place to start if you are interested in deco theory.

I was going to add this to my previous post, but @boulderjohn beat me to it.

Tables are fine for illustrating the practical aspects of deco theory like the deeper you go, the less time you have and the value of surface intervals. But being able to work a table is not the same as understanding deco theory.

If you really want to understand deco theory, then study that directly. Otherwise, the time you would spend on the tables is much better spent on understanding the operation of your dive computer.

Here's a good place to start if you are interested in deco theory.

Why don't you also argue that one should understand how a computer works (the theory, not the mechanical button-pushing) before using one?

Why don't you also argue that one should understand how a computer works (the theory, not the mechanical button-pushing) before using one?
Read my post more carefully. I never said that knowing the theory was necessary.

where can I find a PDF? even the SSI website does not seem to have it, they are in the app, but not in a downloadable or printable format.

Hi baggins_96

These can be downloaded from the SSI website - I have just done this to check that this is possible. Your need to log into your SSI account on the SSI website, then select 'Training' from the menu at the top of the page, then select 'Downloads' under the 'Education' heading on the new page. On the 'Downloads' page, click 'Training' under the heading 'Category' , click 'Tables' under the heading 'Type' and click 'English-Imperial' under the heading 'Language'. Total of 13 items will then be offered for selection. Select 'Combined AIR/EANx Dive Tables', and then click the blue button at the bottom of the page. You will get two PDF files. Suggest that you print these in colour for a better reading experience,

Read my post more carefully. I never said that knowing the theory was necessary.
I inferred it incorrect;y, sorry.
True for both tables and dive computers, I suppose.
SB is big on everyone should know decompression theory.
I'd be happy if people could just work their tables or their computers competently.

Why?

EDIT:
Actually, even a perfectly flat dive on tables won’t equal what a computer will come up with even if they are running the identical algorithm.
Tables say you start the dive as soon as you begin your descent. If you take your sweet time getting down to 100’ all of that time has to be treated as 100’. A computer will read every few seconds so it will calculate each time spent at 10-20-30-40-50.. and so on. So by the time a table and a computer reach 100’ even at the exact same descent rate they will be different.
And then after your minimal allowed NDL at 100’ on tables you must make a break for the surface at the recommended ascent rate. A computer will give you credit as you come up and you are allowed to dawdle if you wish to look at things.
A table will not allow you to do that...that is if you are a good boy or girl and don’t cheat, and some people used to. Tables won’t lock you out.

I don't think there are even any computers and tables that run the same algorithm. For example, even if they are both based on Bulmann ZH-L 16, there are different versions for tables (ZH-L 16 B) and computers (ZH-L 16 C) with the computer version being somewhat more conservative in the slower compartments to try to match up with the built in conservatism from the table rules.

Back
Top Bottom