Princetontec Impact XL as backup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiegoDiver

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Princetontec Impact XL (LED) as a backup light? I am contemplating going with this light vs. the Princetontec TEC 40 or the UK SL4. Scubalab rated this light really well but I just don't know whether it is bright enough. Not bad of a price either.

I know people are raving about the Gulflex Photon Torpedo and the Halcyon Scout, but I simply don't care for spending that much for a backup. I am throwing enough cash down for the Light Cannon 100 as my primary.

Impact XL:

18 Lumens
4 AA batteries
LED 1 Watt
50+ hours of burn time

http://www.princetontec.com/

Ive never used it as a back up but ive played around w/ it and its awsome! I belive that DR new Delrin LED light is the same insides. I like it and the price is good.

I used one in Roatan this year as a backup to my UK C8 eLED. Cruising Newman’s wall at night it would illuminate down the wall to a depth nearly as far as the C8, though much narrower. That ‘s clear tropical water mind you, but the first time I tried it I remember being surprised how much it lit up.

In daylight for peering into crevices it does not at first appear to do as well. I think this may be somewhat of an illusion though. The color is closer to daylight so illuminated objects just look a little lighter and brighter. With the more yellow casting lights you actually see the beam contrasting better and I think that makes you imagine there is more light. Perhaps anyway.

I attached a bolt snap with cave line and keep it always on the right side of my harness. The twist-on operates very smoothly with one hand. Grip and shape are comfortable.

NeilH

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom