Princeton tec lights - shockwave regular or rechargeable?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

suzette

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm in the market for a dive light and have an opportunity to get a Princeton tec light at a discount. I'm deciding between the shockwave or the shockwave rechargable. I dive frequently in Key Largo, so I'm not exactly in the murky depths, but I love using a light to really see what's what in the crevices and such.

I am leaning toward the rechargeable since replacing 8 C cell batteries frequently doesn't really appeal to me. The main difference between the two is that the rechargeable has a halogen bulb and the regular has LED. The rechargeable one has greater distance of the beam (according to the website).

Thoughts? Opinions? As I said, I would be using this for daytime exploring and I may do occasional night dives. Thanks in advance!

The LED one is actually the "Shockwave LED." There's also a "Shockwave" that isn't rechargeable. The reason the halogen one also comes in a rechargable version is that it does use more battery. LEDs are much better on battery life so there's less incentive for the expense of a rechargeable version.

If you're using this mostly in the daytime you might want to consider something smaller. The wider beam and distance is nice at night, but doesn't do much good in the day in clear water - tight and bright is more useful for peeking in and under stuff, the usual daytime use of a light. I have a Shockwave and wouldn't cart it around with me on every day dive, that's for sure. Too big and awkward to fit in a pocket and I wouldn't want it hanging on me someplace. We have an old Surge and the LED equiv the Torrent that we always carry to use during the day. They work fine for day stuff, fit in a pocket, and are ok for a night dive in clear water.

Great advice and I sure do appreciate it! I didn't realize that the Shockwave was quite so bulky- I may get that one for my night diving and a smaller one for every day.

Thanks for the advice!

Suzette

the Princeton tec shockwave led is a pretty awesome light. I just got one from scubatoys. with the scubaboard discount and free shipping it only cost $107. battery life is rated 12 hours on high and 20 hours on low, so batteries will last quite awhile.
Bob

the Princeton tec shockwave led is a pretty awesome light. I just got one from scubatoys. with the scubaboard discount and free shipping it only cost $107. battery life is rated 12 hours on high and 20 hours on low, so batteries will last quite awhile.
Bob

Do you find it too bulky for daily use? Thanks for the review!!

it is a bit much for daily use, I have a smaller light that stays in my BC pocket for during the day. But for night dives it gives a lot of light. A person should have a back up light for night dives anyway.
CuL8r
Bob

Thanks to all for the advice- I ended up getting the shockwave for night dives and the torrent for everyday use (both Princeton Tec). I can't wait to try them out!

Back
Top Bottom