Primary Reg hose Ruptured at 110 feet.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jwvanno

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to avoid a detailed "story" if I can, but share the details as we reconstructed them after the dive.

Three of us were diving as a team. Myself and one other have done 49 dives, and the third in our party has around 400 dives, and is a full time firefighter paramedic. We wanted some non-penetration, deep dive/wreck exposure with a more experienced diver who we knew and trusted. Since my normal buddy and I had never been below 100 feet, the PRIMARY reason for the dive was to get some "supervised" aquaintance with Nitrogen Narcosis. The wreck was strictly secondary and only chosen for it's depth.

We were diving a 28% mix on a wreck which was 110 on deck and 135 to the sand.

The current was ripping stronger than anything I or my normal buddy had ever experienced, (even stronger than some of the first magnitude springs we've dove.) but we felt we could handle it on the way down the anchor line, and if it was the same on the bottom, we would abort the dive.

The plan was to drop down the line, then off the side of the wreck and hover about three to five feet off the sand and check all gauges and see if 1) we could make sense of them at depth, 2) see if we could be aware enough to maintain depth and hovering, and 3) simply feel what the narcosis was doing to our heads. We planned no more than 2 minutes at 130 feet. Then we planned to rise to the deck for 8 or 10 minutes of sightseeing, at 110, then air permitting, 2 or 3 minutes looking into the wheelhouse before ascending the anchor line.

The current on the wreck as very manageable if we stayed low and within a few feet of the deck, so we decided to proceed with our plan.

The descent to 130, the hovering drill, and the ascent to the deck went exactly as planned. (although looking back at my own photos, I was FAR more narced than I thought at the time!! :))

11 minutes into the dive, I looked to my right, and as I brought my head back to the left, the swivel that connects my primary regulator to the hose blew out its o-ring. It's the same one as can be bought here: http://scuba.com/shop/diving.asp_cat_37_scuba_1_gear_034155_pn_PROMATE-REGULATOR-SWIVEL although I bought it at a LDS. The set screw had come loose and backed out enough to open a gap in the seating surface, and the O-ring blew out the side.

I may have been more excited and closer to panic than I want to admit, but I KEPT THINKING THROUGH THE PROBLEM!!!

I went to the secondary of the most experienced diver. My ruptured hose fell between us across our arms, and we were blanketed in a white out of bubbles. This was the closest point I came to just losing my self control!! I couldn't see, and all I could hear was air leaving way too rapidly. By the time he turned my tank off, and we could see, we'd been blown off the wreck and had lost our second buddy.

We got bouyancy control back and with the exception of the first 20 seconds where we were totally out of control getting blown UP and off the wreck, the computer logs show a very clean ascent. Since we were still within our NDL times, we did 1 minute at 50 feet, followed by 3 minutes at 15 feet, then surfaced.

Another buddy team saw the blowout and the two of us get blown off the wreck. They aborted their dive, grabbed my girlfriend, and became a new team of three for a completely "normal" ascent up the anchor line.

We estimated that in that 4 1/2 minutes, it took us to surface, we were 3/4 mile away from the boat. We both had Sausages and deployed them, then bobbed and waited till all the other divers got back on board and the boat came for us. Within 15 minutes, we were ALL safely back on board and shaking with adreneline.

After an hour or so, we went on and did a drift dive on a 15-20 foot reef to let everyone just calm the heck down and enjoy themselves again.

Lessons learned:

1) We had talked about if my normal buddy and I get seperated from the third, that we would not search more than 30 seconds, abort our dive, and focus strictly on each other to the surface. We never talked about what if my normal team was broken. I got blown off the wreck with my third, but had no idea where my second was. (Until I saw her on the bow of the boat.) She saw us get blown off, but didn't know whether to follow or ascend the line. (She decided the safest course was ascend the line, and as she was just beginning to ascend, is when the other pair stopped her and buddied up.)

We were all within arms reach of each other... Did I make a minor mistake heading for the more experienced diver than my normal buddy??? I don't think so. I think his greater experience saved ME from panic and trouble, but I would have never lived with myself if my GF of 6 years was lost...

2) The extra task loading of the current wasn't accounted for in our plan. We were briefed there was a "fairly strong current". We talked about it, but we didn't re-evaluate it AS A GROUP when we got in the water. The experienced diver did, but at 90 feet, when he was asking me: "Are you sure this is O.K.??" I took him to be asking: "Ready?" Neither I nor my buddy thought any farther than "It's O.K. if we stay low on the wreck."

3) No one on the boat afterward, admitted to ever having thought to check the set-screws on these swivels, even though almost all of the 10 divers had them attached to their regs. It's a point of failure that just a tiny drop of Lok-Tite (r) would have settled.

What other "lessons learned" am I not thinking about as I type?? I felt fine during the drift dive, and the dive home, but didn't sleep too well last night, (just nerves. We've both been monitoring ourselves for any signs of DCS, but feel fine and it's been 26 hours.) but I might be missing something else that we talked about last night....

If you're using one of these swivels, think about that set screw as well as the rest of your hose systems!!!

Just wanted to share.

Wow ! That sounds like an exciting dive!!!! Have never used a swivel,never seen the need for one and will certainly not be using one after reading your account.Makes me appreciate my doubles as well.

Glad you are OK.

One question,would it be possible in this situation to bend the hose back on itself to stop the flow?

I am very glade your ok , that why my dives I have a pony bottle as back up not only when doing deep dives but most of the time , you never know what going to happen , having that extra amount of gas and extra breathing source, you just never now.
Ok for the swivel , I never used one so can't really say to much other than to me its another failure point and think you see that know , does it mean it no good can't say but my self sometime keeping things simple best answer, Is there a particular reason you have that swivel ?

I've seen people RAIL against posters who say swivels are an uncecessary point of failure. Personally, I wouldn't use one. Your story highlights why. I have also sworn that I would be dropping below 80ft without redundant regs, and not below 100 without redundant tanks. Again, your story illustrates why.

I do have a couple of questions:

1. Were you not able to turn off your own valve? I am wondering if you could have not gotten to your secondary (around the neck?) to breathe off while you got over to your buddy.

2. If you had your choice, would you have wanted your GF to stay with the group of 3, or abort as she did? I've never been in a group of 3 but I can't imagine seperating from them when the ***** hit the fan.

3. Was this the safest way to test out being narced? I'd think that if you are heading into a situation where you KNOW you are going to be diving imparied, you wouldn't want ocean currents to deal with.

I'm very glad this worked out for you. I too hope to be diving at similar depths to what you described here. Your story reminds me why I am taking the slow path and trying to have all necessary training before I venture that deep. Thanks VERY much for sharing this.

Any landing you can walk away from...WHEW :yippie17:
I was thinkin about these swivels to relieve jaw fatigue...but it bothered
me that it was just a screw and not a bolt with a nylon lined nut. I have
since purchased a Zeagle reg (which rocks! :D ) and it came with a very
large mouthpiece which has solved the jaw fatigue problem. Sometimes we
learn from others..thanks for the lesson! Glad your OK, happy diving!!!

ianr33:
One question,would it be possible in this situation to bend the hose back on itself to stop the flow?

I didn't try. I somehow doubt it would work, but I have no basis for thinking this other than it's sometimes hard enough to do it with a garden hose, and that's only 30psi. The reg is supplied at 150psi, IIRC.

medic13:
Is there a particular reason you have that swivel ?

I tried one on a friend's reg, and enjoyed the flexibility it put into the hose. BTW, I took it off when we got back to the surface, and launched it overboard...

PerroneFord:
1. Were you not able to turn off your own valve? I am wondering if you could have not gotten to your secondary (around the neck?) to breathe off while you got over to your buddy.

2. If you had your choice, would you have wanted your GF to stay with the group of 3, or abort as she did? I've never been in a group of 3 but I can't imagine seperating from them when the ***** hit the fan.

3. Was this the safest way to test out being narced? I'd think that if you are heading into a situation where you KNOW you are going to be diving imparied, you wouldn't want ocean currents to deal with.

I'm very glad this worked out for you. I too hope to be diving at similar depths to what you described here. Your story reminds me why I am taking the slow path and trying to have all necessary training before I venture that deep.

1. I was still breathing off the primary all the way up to exchanging it for my buddy's alternate. It just breathed like a free-flow... I didn't even know he had shut the tank off until after we were on the boat. I have no personal referance for how long it would take to dump 1800psi, I thought it had just finished pumping Nitrox into the sea. But I was breathing the entire time.

2. In this case, since she watched us "leave", I personally would have much rather had her abort WITH us. At a minimum, it would have been a huge weight off two people's minds as we spent the time coming up and bobbing on the surface. We kept turning circles looking for her, to see if she popped up somewhere else. Also, it's possible that she could have helped if something else had gone wrong.

3. No. You're right. Given the choice, I wouldn't have had the current. That's why we decided before we got into the water to evaluate the current at depth and abort the entire dive if needed. It was a site none of us had ever done before, on a boat we'd never visited. We had been told by the captain that the boat was going to be empty except for the group that all went with me and we could choose the site. We told him the entire purpose of the group even coming was for the two most junior divers to experience going to between 120 and 140 and he should reccomend something for us. The captain chose the specific site. (I'm NOT laying ANYTHING on the captain. He was friendly and very professional. I'm going back with him later this month.) I only mention it, to explain that we didn't even discuss the current, till the DM got back from tying off, and reported it to us. Then we modded our original plan.

We too have been going slowly. Gradually a bit deeper each dive. Ironically, this was our last step.This is as deep as either of us really ever plan to go. We just wanted to have some referance for the narcosis. The one diver is an instructor, but this wasn't a "class". My GF and I planned the dive. He reviewed it and agreed with what we were going to do, based on what we've done in the past. (We've dove with him around a dozen dives, including these succesively deeper depths.)

FOUNDATIONER:
Sometimes we learn from others..thanks for the lesson!

I've learned a lot from everyone on this board. I'm happy to relate a story that maybe others can learn from.

Thanks to everyone.

Wow! What an amazing story!

Glad you worked it through, and that your GF found someone else to buddy up with, though if it were me I guess I would've probably wanted to try to stay together as a group. Easy for me to say on dry land, though.

Reading this did make me think about narcosis and taking a heliox/triox class. It also makes me like my 90° elbow over a 360° swivel.

i think you did very well...it may have been better if your gf had stayed with you, but i can see how you could aruge either way...you kept calm, thought it out and got through it..good job!!

Your buddy was right to turn off your tank and you ascend on his air. You will lose a lot of air fast from a broken low pressure hose. More than from the high pressure hose. It's a volume thing, not a pressure thing. The low pressure hose has a larger inside diameter. You would not have had enough air to ascend from that depth. The blowing hose would be very distracting and getting that distraction out of the picture is a good thing. You would not be able to kink the hose and stop the flow. I doubt it anyway. I'm not sure I would do anything different, except I never liked the idea of a swivel on the line.

Good job, and even more, you owe your buddy a beer.

In real honest to goodness deep dive training you'd likely be using manifolded doubles or at least an H-valve on a single. In the case of a ruptured hose you'd simply shut down the offending post and switch to your own backup. If current is a problem a buddy could help you hold position on the wreck rather than getting blown off with you.

I'm not familiar with the swivel you used but when a LP hose is loose causing the oring to blow out you can usually reseat the oring and retighten once the air is shut off. That can be done underwater. Of course you don't need any tools to tighten an LP hose and I guess my answer to this is to not use swivels.

All is well that ends well I guess.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom