Primary lite,is bigger better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I want a light that has good brightness but dont want a light thats to heavy,or bulky.
Any suggestions?:goldfish:

It really depends . . . What do you want a light for? Day diving or night diving, cold water or tropical? What kind of BC are you using?

For tropical night diving, you don't need a whole lot of light, and in fact it can be counterproductive to have too much, as you drive away the noctural creatures you want to see. A simple backup light like a Photon Torpedo is perfect for that.

For diving in turbid water or in daylight, you need a lot more power to have a light be useful at all. That's where HID lights come in. Unfortunately, the hand-held ones are bulky and awkward, which is one of the reasons why a lot of people using those lights use canister lights. That way the battery is not held in your hand. But canister lights introduce their own complications, because they're designed to be mounted on a harness and don't fit well on regular BCs. The Nite Rider is an exception to that.

Anyway, more information about what you want a light FOR would help us figure out what to recommend for you.

I would like a light for night dives and for looking under rocks and maybe wrecks.

Wrecks are going to want a pretty substantial light, while just a little light for night diving and looking under rocks would be quite simple, from a needs standpoint. What sort of waters do you dive in? Cold, temperate and green with limited vis, or clear and warm? Clear and warm lets you get away with a lot less light.

The UK light Cannon is a great light in nearly any conditions, but it may be more light than you're looking for. Both UK and PrincetonTec make nice little LED lights that are lightweight and simple and reliable, but I'm not sure they quite cut the mustard when you bring wreck diving into the equation.

I saw these at the Our World Underwater show in Chicago over the weekend. I will be ordering them (they didnt take credit card at the show and I didnt bring the checkbook) & I'll give a report when they come in and I get them wet.

www.handsfreelights.com

I like the 10W HIDs- OMS and Sartek have smaller ones than the other brands. One of the downsides of larger HID lights for me is wearing that big freakin' ballast on my hand. Absolutely barbaric! :D

If you want a cheaper light, I just upgraded to the Photon Torpedo LED. It's usually used as a backup light, but for a night dive or looking into dark holes, I think it would be great!

I've never owned a UK light cannon, but they deliver and would be a more conventional light with a wider beam.

I really like my 10w Halcyon Helios 9, it intigrates into my Halcyon wing and has a 8 hour burn time.

The answer will be depending on your dive type and site.

If you are mostly stick to a rec. diving level, UK canon is way to go. Even you can do an entry level tech diving with that light. It is HID, bring enough, and cheap compared to any canister light. Recently, I set up a goodman handle for a light canon. It works very well, too.

hoosier:
The answer will be depending on your dive type and site.

If you are mostly stick to a rec. diving level, UK canon is way to go. Even you can do an entry level tech diving with that light. It is HID, bring enough, and cheap compared to any canister light. Recently, I set up a goodman handle for a light canon. It works very well, too.
Interesting... DIY? Got pics?

Hey compudude, thanks for imput.
I purchased a UK SL6 Over the weekend.
Its a 8 watt lite.
I think its a good choice for me.
If it is not enough i will consider getting the cannon and using the sl6 for back up,but i am thinking the sl6 will be enough for now.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom