Primary Light $150 - $300

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pconsidine007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

Been struggling to identify the best primary light for me, even after doing a fair share of research. Pls help!

Here are my dive parameters:

Warm water night diving + peering into cracks and crevices during my regular recreational, warm water day time diving will be the primary reason for the light.

Photography / Videography - I'll likely take the leap to underwater photography (have a Canon T3i, which I've explored purchasing a housing for - but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet). Is it possible to purchase a Primary Light which later can be used as part of my underwater photography set-up? If so, this would be a major consideration in my Primary Light purchase.

Price - $150 - $300 (would prefer to keep it under $250, but if the extra hundred $ means a substanitially better light, than so be it.)

Type of Diving: I do some diving locally (not the best viz - 3-5 meters a lot of times), but most of my diving is to international destinations. Mostly warm water diving and no tech yet... though things may evolve to that some day (though not a huge priority now).

Chargeable vs. Rechargeable - I don't have a strong preference either way I suppose; however, would appreciate thoughts on the conventional wisdom / pros/cons of the two.

Also, I live in Dubai and wondering if anyone is aware of good online services that deliver internationally with out major fees.

I think this should be enough context to make a recommendation on.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / suggestions.
Peter

DRIS 1K light meets everything you want except it's too bright and focused for video. I suggest you do a dedicated light for that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For those prices, you should look at getting 2 high end back up lights and just use them as a primary (and backup). It is what I have been doing until I save up enough to buy my 21W Light Monkey. They are perfect for the application you need them for and if you ever go into tech they become your backuplights when you buy a canister.

I would recommend the Light Monkey 3W or Halcyon Scouts. I have dove both and really enjoy them. They are high priced back up lights, but have excellent quality and are backed by their companies with fantastic customer support. I ended up getting the Light Monkey 3W and paying the extra money because a) It was going to be my primary so I wanted it to powerful and reliable and b) I am going into tech so these will become my backup lights.

You could probably pick up a Scout new for $175 and a LM new for $140

Scout Back-Up Light - Dive Right in Scuba

Light Monkey Levellan 3 Watt LED | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

Email Mike at DRiS, he is one of the owners will sort you out and there shouldn't be any problem getting free international shipping.
mike@diverightinscuba.com

For dive light I recommend and use XTAR D06 in an Oxycheq sock. This one is about $70 on Ebay. For video you need a much more expensive light with a bright even wide beam. You could try one of the BigBlue offerings.

Hi all,

Been struggling to identify the best primary light for me, even after doing a fair share of research. Pls help!

Here are my dive parameters:

Warm water night diving + peering into cracks and crevices during my regular recreational, warm water day time diving will be the primary reason for the light.

Photography / Videography - I'll likely take the leap to underwater photography (have a Canon T3i, which I've explored purchasing a housing for - but I'm just not ready to pull the trigger yet). Is it possible to purchase a Primary Light which later can be used as part of my underwater photography set-up? If so, this would be a major consideration in my Primary Light purchase.

Price - $150 - $300 (would prefer to keep it under $250, but if the extra hundred $ means a substanitially better light, than so be it.)

Type of Diving: I do some diving locally (not the best viz - 3-5 meters a lot of times), but most of my diving is to international destinations. Mostly warm water diving and no tech yet... though things may evolve to that some day (though not a huge priority now).

Chargeable vs. Rechargeable - I don't have a strong preference either way I suppose; however, would appreciate thoughts on the conventional wisdom / pros/cons of the two.

Also, I live in Dubai and wondering if anyone is aware of good online services that deliver internationally with out major fees.

I think this should be enough context to make a recommendation on.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts / suggestions.
Peter
Hello . Peter

I think you can look at the market place . There are two type of primary dive light you can choose from . One is CL2300 and One is CL2300X. You know know more details and promotion reviews from that link

The promotion give away gift of 1pcs of Hollis LED6 and 1pcs of Hollis LED3X

Cheers

DRIS 1K light meets everything you want except it's too bright and focused for video*. I suggest you do a dedicated light for that.

I'll second and third (I have the Shorty too) the DRIS 1k. I beat the snot out of it and it still goes strong. Most recently I changed my brakes and forgot to bring a mallet to tap the caliper off, but the DRIS 1k was handy so I used that. It's probably beyond overkill for warm water with high viz, but it is super affordable and you get way more bang for your buck. For crappy NE viz I don't think there's a better light.

*Edit: I think I remember seeing a diffuser head available separately for the DRIS light. That would probably do well for video.

I'll second and third (I have the Shorty too) the DRIS 1k. I beat the snot out of it and it still goes strong. Most recently I changed my brakes and forgot to bring a mallet to tap the caliper off, but the DRIS 1k was handy so I used that. It's probably beyond overkill for warm water with high viz, but it is super affordable and you get way more bang for your buck. For crappy NE viz I don't think there's a better light.

*Edit: I think I remember seeing a diffuser head available separately for the DRIS light. That would probably do well for video.

I believe the diffuser was for their can light.

I made one out of beach garbage - a piece of translucent plastic I cut to shape with my dive shears. It actually works okay.

Thanks for all the feedback - really helpful.

From the sounds of it, the price range I've outlined just isn't sufficient to purchase a light that could double as a good primary + a light I can later use for video/photography.

A couple quick questions:

1. Does this multi-purpose light actually exist - i.e. a light that can do the following: 1. Serve as good video/photo light which can be mounted to a camera housing. 2. Serve as a powerful enough light that is sufficient for mostly warm water night diving. 3. Also good for carrying on day dives, where seeing under ledges, and peering into cracks and crevaces is important.

2. If this multi-purpose light does exists, can anyone confirm the cost of entry (at the low, but sufficient end)?

3. Lastly, any recommendations?

Again, really appreciate all the feedback / recommendations!
Peter

1. Does this multi-purpose light actually exist - i.e. a light that can do the following: 1. Serve as good video/photo light which can be mounted to a camera housing. 2. Serve as a powerful enough light that is sufficient for mostly warm water night diving. 3. Also good for carrying on day dives, where seeing under ledges, and peering into cracks and crevaces is important.

2. If this multi-purpose light does exists, can anyone confirm the cost of entry (at the low, but sufficient end)?

You can check out the DRIS Impact lights. Comes in either a stubby or a stretch body, and has interchangeable spot and flood (video) heads. The body plus one head is $130, and you could get the other head for $85. So for $215 you have technically what you were looking for. I haven't seen or used it, but I have other DRIS lights (1K and shorty) that I have been happy with.
Impact Stretch Dive Light - Dive Right in Scuba

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom