Prices to ask/pay for second-hand gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesD

Contributor
Reaction score
Apologies if this is the wrong forum, I tried to look through but really couldn't find a "good" forum to post this in.

Over the last 4 years I've realised that, at least for the time-being, my scuba diving days are over, the cold water of California, and a 3 year old mean I just don't have the time, nor inclination to run out and go diving.

With that said, I have quite a good amount of equipment, none of it brand new, but most of it carefully looked after and used only a few times (regulator is probably the most used at approx 130 dives).

To my mind, there are two questions, 1. Is it worth even trying to sell stuff that has not recently been inspected? I have a HP Steel 100 tank (almost 10 years since it was hydro'd), BC and 2 regulators (2 Zeagle Tech 50D's, one with only a couple of dives on it) all of that inspected maybe 5 years ago (approx). 2. If it is, what are prices that are good to ask for?

My primary concern would be (believe it or not) selling stuff on that is faulty, or selling it on to someone who will just make assumptions and use it without doing the necessary, but in the same breath, I really don't want to have to try to find somewhere to Hyrdo a tank/inspect gear?

Any information anyone can provide, gratefully recieved.

No problems.
You have some nice stuff.
Regs can be serviced and will work like new.....I bet those Zeagle/Apeks would be fine even without a service.
The tank should also pass a hydro (99plus% do). Get a pre inspection visual first to make sure it wasn't put to bed wet and make sure it gets the special double hydro for those HP (3500) tanks.
I bet you could get $150 for the tank and the same for each reg, (depending on octo and gauges), maybe more.

Get the hydro done yourself but leave it up to the buyer of the regs to do their service.

If you want to sell the gear, sell it.
The stuff you listed definitely has value.

HP100 tanks are in high demand here in SoCal. A buyer may want to make the sale contingent upon the tank passing hydro, though.
The Tech 50D regs are well made. They may require overhaul, though, since soft parts of the reg age even when not in use. Just make the prospective buyers aware of the service history of the regs and tell them that the regs should be inspected/serviced by an authorized reg tech before use.
Feel free to use the same line with the BCD (inspect/service prior to use).

Prices for used gear vary considerably according to the brand/model, condition, and local market.
Check out prices on Ebay and Craigslist for comparable gear.

I agree with previous posts - don't have anything serviced (except the tank hydro or guarantee) as most buyers will want to service it themselves or have it serviced themselves. Tanks seem to hold value fairly well but other gears not so well. Half thge price of new would probably be a good deal for you.

One other thought if low prices on used gear puts you off. Even 20 to 30 year old gear is still great for diving right now. You may find yourself in a very different situation 10, 15, or 20 years from now. Are you really sure you want to be finished with diving?

If YOU could still use the gear to dive (with servicing of course) then you should have no reservations about selling it. I've purchased a lot of used gear but ALWAYS get everything serviced regardless of what I'm told and I've never had any problems. Good pricing is anywhere between 50-60% of the original value or less depending on the condition or sometimes more depending on how in demand the items are like tanks and Wings nowadays. I would sell the tank for $175-225, you can get on the higher end of that range if you get it the VIP and Hydro.... steel tanks almost always pass hydro and hold their value well. If the BC's are good set the price at half and go from there ($500 bc for $250-300 etc.) The same can be said about the regulators. Keep in mind as a seller that all gear will have to be serviced so don't ask crazy high prices.

My general rule is, find out what the cheapest price I can find the gear for new. If my gear is in mint condition and recently used I'll sell it for half price. For example, your tank would be $350 so I'd price it at $175. I hate to haggle. If you like to haggle, you might price it a little higher and let someone talk you down. Regulators and steel tanks tend to retain their value. A BC might not. A BC has more of a fashion component to it. You cannot really tell the difference between a one year old and a 20 year old regulator or tank, if they were well taken care of. A BC can become dated, faded, worn out.

The most important thing is that most people buying used are looking for a bargain. They will have already tried to find the cheapest new gear they can. I see a lot of guys with gear that typically sells for $1200 at the local dive shop asking $1000 but if they hunt around they can find it online for $800. Someone buying used will NEVER pay $1000 for gear they can get new for $800.

It's good stuff. Mothball it and have it serviced before you start teaching the little one how to dive. If you're a scuba diver you will be back and there is no reason to buy all new again.

Back
Top Bottom