Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seagrams

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been looking at AL 80 tank prices online and they vary quite a bit in price. For example, I found a brand new Cyl-Tec 80cf Scuba Diving Tank from amazon that is selling for $149. There is also a Sea Pearls 80 Aluminum Scuba Diving Air Tank for $259. They are both aluminum tanks, so why is there such a big price difference? Is there anything wrong with the Cyl-Tec tank?

I appreciate your response on this!

https://www.amazon.com/Cyl-Tec-Scub...UTF8&qid=1488981112&sr=8-1&keywords=dive+tank

https://www.amazon.com/Pearls-Alumi...981112&sr=8-20-spons&keywords=dive+tank&psc=1

probably not, but I'd question why you're buying aluminum tanks when you live in cold water country....

Scuba tanks
there are two steels in the back right corner of that picture with the valves shaped like a T, see if he'd sell those, if not AL80's at $50 aren't a bad deal if they pass hydro.

Scuba Equipment
that sounds like $265 for 2 steel tanks and an aluminum, so depending on the size that could be a very good deal for you. May very well be LP72's in which case they aren't worth that much, about $50 each, but much better than AL80's for diving up there.

Cyl-tec comes in from China but has been DOT approved, so nothing inherently wrong with them.

If you want new AL80's
@Dive Right In Scuba has Luxfers for $150, so I would just go there personally. Worth the drive down there
XS Scuba Luxfer 80 cu/ft Tank | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba

As a reference, also check out DGX.
Luxfer Aluminum 80 Cylinder, Brushed No-Coat
You pay for shipping, but I was able to affix their VIS sticker to the tank and get local fills w/o having to do another vis. That may be a difference in pricing in the end as well.

Why buy tank online? I see the less expensive tank is $149 plus $20 shipping..so that comes to $169. I guess there is no tax..you will need to pay for a visual inspection and air fill. Cost varies, let's say it is $15. For visual and $7 for fill. Cost of tank ready to go is now $191.
LDS here sells tank for $189, includes visual and fill..simply walk in and walk out with tank..why not buy local? Support local business , do that and you may find at times they may not charge for fill, stay late for you to provide service when you are running late on a Friday night hoping to get a fill for a Saturday am dive.

As a reference, also check out DGX.
Luxfer Aluminum 80 Cylinder, Brushed No-Coat
You pay for shipping, but I was able to affix their VIS sticker to the tank and get local fills w/o having to do another vis. That may be a difference in pricing in the end as well.
Many LDS will not honor a generic sticker that does not have name,location of facility that did visual. That and the tank came in empty and requires a visual .

Many LDS will not honor a generic sticker that does not have name,location of facility that did visual. That and the tank came in empty and requires a visual .

DXG is not a generic no-name sticker, they're a real Florida shop.

Why buy tank online? I see the less expensive tank is $149 plus $20 shipping..so that comes to $169. I guess there is no tax..you will need to pay for a visual inspection and air fill. Cost varies, let's say it is $15. For visual and $7 for fill. Cost of tank ready to go is now $191.
LDS here sells tank for $189, includes visual and fill..simply walk in and walk out with tank..why not buy local? Support local business , do that and you may find at times they may not charge for fill, stay late for you to provide service when you are running late on a Friday night hoping to get a fill for a Saturday am dive.

Fair and good point (general, not just to OP or me).. once you found an LDS you like to support and if the price difference is bearable (it varies...). And pending on the drive. If the shop you like to support is am hour each way and it is a separate trip, it changes things a bit... delivery is nice at times....

I agree with you in principle. I rarely buy dive gear online, and try funding my brick-and-mortar dive shop as much as possible. However, I don't really have a "local" one that's worth mentioning. The closest one to me is absolutely atrocious and is unlikely to ever get another penny from me. Last I checked, I think they were asking $259 for an AL80 and even more for a convertible valve and O2 cleaning. I picked up 5 used ones, and will get them fresh hydros, o2 cleaning, and DIN valves for less than that.

My LDS is ~7hrs from me.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom