Price check on used steel tanks (LP 85, HP 100)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt S.

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm checking local ads for deals on steel, but I have realized I don't actually know what a deal is going to look like. :)

I found one "steel HP 100" for $200. The picture makes it look like a yoke valve, but maybe it's convertible--the owner doesn't know and I am betting he doesn't know the manufacturer either. It is in hydro but needs it later this year. Sticker on the valve reads 3442 psi.

I also found 2 steel LP 85s for $100 each. They are out of hydro.

Fair prices?

I am an air hog in a drysuit, so I need a heavy tank, preferably with a DIN valve. What should I expect to pay for tank in the 80-100 cf range? (Really, I'd only take an 80 if it was a steal... I can use more capacity.)

The price on those 2 LP 85's is reasonable providing they pass hydro and are in good condition. I'd seriously consider getting them. The HP 100 could be a good price depending on the age and manufacturer. It's not a great price. Based on the information you've provided, 3442 psi with yoke style valve, which almost has to be the convertible valve I'd say its probably a 4yr old tank. If it's a 4 yr old worthington or Faber that's a reasonable price. If it's a 9 yr old tank, either PST or Faber that's at the high end of the range. I just bought a 9 yr old PST 100 for $125 which is a good price. If it's an Asahi that's a premium price and I'd pass.

Hope that helps,
AL

Matt S.:
I'm checking local ads for deals on steel, but I have realized I don't actually know what a deal is going to look like. :)
You can look at online sites like Scubatoys, TDL, and even Leisurepro to get a sense of the going prices. Also check you LDS. Sometimes you can get a great deal on a new cylinder that has a few years gone from factory hydro. TDL is also good for having nice prices on stagnant cylinders.

From there consider the hydro status which expires 5 years from the stamped date and if it has a current annual VIP sticker. The ultimate risk checker is to make the buy contingent on it passing a fresh VIP at a shop of your choice. Cylinders are very durable so in general an in demand item can get some serious money. Saving 1/3 on a $350 item can be a good deal.

Matt S.:
I found one "steel HP 100" for $200. The picture makes it look like a yoke valve, but maybe it's convertible--the owner doesn't know and I am betting he doesn't know the manufacturer either. It is in hydro but needs it later this year. Sticker on the valve reads 3442 psi.
If the valve says 3442 it is a pseudo HP cylinder and will look like a yoke valve. When you look at the mounting face you will see a hex opening that lets you remove a plug with an Allen wrench. The resulting port is a DIN connection.

The reason I said pseudo HP is that true HP starts at 3500 PSI and these cylinders will be strictly DIN in valving. By dropping the pressure a few atmospheres to 3442 a product was created that can use a yoke connection but has the density benefits of a HP cylinder.

It is probably a PST E7-100 and if you will see the PST logo with the pregnant P stamped with the other numbers.

With the hydro expiring this year I would definitely ding the seller for that expense. Find out what the local cost is since it could be $25 - $30 plus VIP and some shops even charge for that first air fill!

$200. is not an awful price for that cylinder but the hydro may be a $25 dickering point. What is the condition? A buddy picked up a pair of E7-80s that were still shiny bright, I know from experience that they were barely use in salt water.

Matt S.:

Fair prices?
Pretty much the same thing as the HP. You are buying at about 1/2 price but have the hydro burden. If you need to pay the hydro then try to make the seller take the risk.
Matt S.:
I am an air hog in a drysuit, so I need a heavy tank, preferably with a DIN valve. What should I expect to pay for tank in the 80-100 cf range? (Really, I'd only take an 80 if it was a steal... I can use more capacity.)

Used cylinders seem to crimes of opportunity. I got a pair of the 3500 PSI 100CF PST cylinders last year with fresh hydro and VIP form a LDS for $150 each and I thought that was a great deal. My wife and I dive DIN and we are the exception so these cylinders did not have mass market appeal. By going DIN yourself you are open to the HP opportunities. Your local Craigslist is also worth watching. My short answer is that I'd consider anything with a few years of remaining hydro for at least 2/3 of the current retail. The durability of the item is the key here.

Pete

Matt S.:

Fair prices?

The short answer is that $200 may be about $25 higher than average on the HP steel 100, since it will need a hydro pretty soon. That's based on the NE coastal area. Your market in Washington may be different.

If you rarely see used HP steels, it may be worth it to you, since new prices on HP steel tanks have gone up at least 10% this past year, I believe.

I don't know prices on LP, but, over the past 10 years, I've bought 21 used HP steels here in the NE.

Here, used HP steel 100's, with a year or more of hydro left, can be picked up for $150 to $175, if you're quick on the draw. :) They're quite popular and, at those prices, often sell within a day of hitting the bargain papers.

I just happen to have sold 4 of my HP 100's last year and was pleasantly surprised that I got $190 to $195 per tank. It took a few weeks to get those prices, though.

Tank age, for steels, doesn't matter to most divers, but condition does.

The ones I sold were 10 to 17 years old. They all had at least two years left on hydro. Cosmetically, they were in excellent shape, and I had just tumbled the insides, so they all looked very good.

Gee, $200, for that tank you're looking at, is sounding better and better. :)

Good luck!

Dave C

i watched them on ebay for months,on the hp 100s,they were all selling for over 200-250 range,finally bought a new worthington for 330 dollars. 200 sounds pretty reasonable to me if its a pst,probably is if its a 3442 tank,rest were 3500 tanks.

Used tank prices can be insane on ebay. I've seen junk going at premium prices. My general rule of thumb is if it's more than 50% of the price of a new tank I generally let it go. However I just bought a used Worthington HP 100 that's less than a year old for $250 but that tank has over 4 yrs left on hydro and has a current VIP and is in almost new condition. Personally that is the max % wise I'd go on a used tank and that is the only age and condition of tank I'd pay that for. I bought my tanks off of Craigslist but there is a lot of junk there as well.

Look at Leisure-pro, divers supply, and tech divers limited for new tank prices for comparison. Phil at divesports is running a fantastic deal (check the hot deals section)http://www.divesports.com/mall/worthington_LP7_LP77.asp on new Worthington LP 77's. These are lower capacity than you are looking for but fantastic deal on a new tank.

The others have a good idea about negotiating the price of the hydro and VIP into the deal.

AL

That's hugely helpful, thanks everyone!

TDL has an informative table listing cylinders. It lists capacity, weight, size, and buoyancy of many tanks, past and present. You will see that all HP's are not created the same. Some are real heavyweights. The latest, like Faber FX and Worthington X are high pressure and lightweight.

This chart helped me know what was being offered when I went cylinder shopping last Fall.

Where can you get LP-85 at $100? If tanks can pass a hydro test, it is a great deal. I would like to have a such kind of deal.

The recent LP 77 & 80 deals on the board aren't "+" rating tanks. So, go figure that is what you are looking for.

Back
Top Bottom