previous post

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daywoo62

Reaction score
Hello, I did not mean to stir up controversy with the pony bottle post, I'm not a troll, which I've just learned what it means. I was only looking for an opinion. I did absorb a great deal of information from all the replies though. I do not intend on replacing a backup reg with a pony. I went to a semi lds in my region and found that they only use pony's and swear by them, which led to a little confusion on my decision on purchasing gear.

My girlfriend and I took the padi open water course, and really enjoyed it. We used air2 backups and had no problems at all. The instructors were great, and really stressed the shared breathing skills.

So far what I've purchased for gear is as follows.
Scubapro mk2/r190
Scubapro classic sport bcd, for me

Seaquest diva bcd
Sherwood magnum for her

Still have'nt decided on air2 or octo yet, I may use the r190 for an octo and go with a g250.

any opinions?

question - but don't worry people get a bit heated about that one, even thougha lot of people use the word pony to refer to any "stage"....

I personally would go with an octo rather than air2 as I think it would be easier if things got messy! Both r190 and g250 are tried and tested but I would lean towrds the 250. Well actually I would really go for the 600 if you can afford it.

Happy shopping

Jonathan

I would agree to go with the 250 because it is an excellent reg but you already have a MK2. While it is a very good and durable 1st stage it is unbalanced and MOST of your performance comes from a balanced 1st stage, like the MK20 or MK25. IMHO, don't bother putting a 250 on the MK2 it will not make that much of a difference in breathing... Stick with the R190. If you can If you can upgrade your whole system then get the MK25/G250. An absolutely fantastic setup. or even the MK25/G380(balanced 1st/unbalanced 2nd), works like a champ and the 2nd is smaller.

I prefer the AIRII over and octo but that is strictly my preference.

Happy diving.

Octo or Air2 is personal preference. I find that while they work when you are practicing in a pool or shallow water, when you really need to use them they are a pain. They are on a short, short hose and they REALLY limit your head movement when you are using them.

Seriously try it out sometime - see if you can try out a gear setup w/ an Air2 and an octo. Try breathing from the Air2 and moving around and assisting a buddy. Then try the same thing with the Octo. I think you will find that the Octo lets you feel more comfortable.

Omicron once bubbled...
Octo or Air2 is personal preference. I find that while they work when you are practicing in a pool or shallow water, when you really need to use them they are a pain. They are on a short, short hose and they REALLY limit your head movement when you are using them.

Seriously try it out sometime - see if you can try out a gear setup w/ an Air2 and an octo. Try breathing from the Air2 and moving around and assisting a buddy. Then try the same thing with the Octo. I think you will find that the Octo lets you feel more comfortable.

I bought a dump hose from trident that is very flexible and a bit longer. Gives me all the freedom of movement that I need. If you leave the "standard" dump on the bc, I'll definitely agree with you. But what the heck, I use both most of the time anyway..

That's an idea...I never thought of buying a longer hose to put on. Isn't it kind of long and dangly then though? I'd hate to add another piece of equipment that I just had to strap down anyway...

That's an idea...I never thought of buying a longer hose to put on. Isn't it kind of long and dangly then though? I'd hate to add another piece of equipment that I just had to strap down anyway...

Not really, it's only a couple of inches longer than the orginal but the big advantage is its flexability. I had to seal it with neoprene cement and double tiewraps but it works great for me.

daywoo62...
In the northeast the dive charters require a redundant air source. If you are not diving doubles with an Isolator then they will require you to dive with a pony bottle. I guess that takes care of any arguments in the Pro or Con. If you want to dive with them.....buy or rent a pony.
I think you will be happier with a full octo over an AirII. What I or anyone else here says does not matter. What makes you comfortable is the most important.
Try Air sharing with your AirII and then do the same skill with somebody that has an octo on a regular hose. Also try Buddy Breathing. I think you will find that it is almost impossible with an AirII. Most people have issues with a 7 or 5 foot hose let alone 22 inches.

Lead_carrier once bubbled...
Not really, it's only a couple of inches longer than the orginal but the big advantage is its flexability. I had to seal it with neoprene cement and double tiewraps but it works great for me. [/B]

Cool. I'll still stick to an octo though :) I still have my Air2 on my bc, but it's pretty much just an oversize inflator now.

I think i missed the earlier thread...and...I think I missed your point on this one.

IMHO you can not compare an octo and spare air (or pony). An octo is a required piece of gear by my old memory.....did that change?....and a spare air or pony is a redundant source of air.

Spare Airs came about via the military and rescue guys...chopper pilots that fly near water in the military are issued them. In fact, my lds just spent four hours or so filling a you-know-what-load of them for the local military base. They are designed to just get the pilot out of a sinking chopper and that is it. They were not intended initially for divers. The failure and/or leakage rate on spare air at first was tremendous. And, from talking with a few divers that own.....correction...used to own them....they still do leak a lot.

If you are questioning whether you want an integrated air source versus an octo that is one thing....but that is not comparable to an "alternative" air source. If you have a total 1st stage failure.... grated rare...but as judy tanuto use to say...it could happen....it would not matter how many octos you have. You still have no air. Same if you forgot to keep track of your air. Once out...your out.

Now if you have a pony....better than spare air..to me anyway... then you have a completly separate and independent air source with its own regulator and whole shebang.

I went with the pony. Happy happy...joy joy..
dive safe...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom