Preventing water intrusion into first stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the Yoke type 1st stages, if you suspect that water could enter even with the dust cup in it's position, then, what about using a small piece of rubber, cut from a tire inner tube just between the dust cup and the 1st stage openning ?

I dont own a tank, but i did purchase my regulators.

I cant rinse them with pressure so what I do is use the little rubber cap that covers my 1st stage and submurge the regulators over night in fresh water.

I have been told by the LDS that soaking the regulators over night is the correct thing to do, but I wonder, they told me that I could submurge everthing including the Low pressure hose, I am concerned that water will enter through the LP hose coupling. Plus is this the correct way to maintain my regulators? I have Oceanic Alpha 8s and oceanic guages

It's fine, the LP inflator hose is only 'open' when connected to the inflator.
Yup. The BCD power inflater has a male post that, when attached, presses on and opens the Schrader valve (located inside the end of the LP inflater hose). FYI, you can visualize the Schrader valve if you shine a light into the end of that hose.

Without the post pushing down on the Schrader valve, it's in the closed position. During the unpressurized soaking procedure, this should be the case and no water should be admitted.

Bear in mind all of this assumes that the Schrader valve is installed correctly and functioning properly.

I have a new AL Legend Supreme LX ACD and I am concerned about soaking with the dust cap off. I called AL and they said just dunk it without the dust cap. My LDS said the same thing. I don't buy that - if you look at the technology videos online that show the device on the yoke working - it's a metal to metal seal when it closes. I'm not an expert but to me - it doesn't matter how tight it's machined - that kind of contact cannot seal 100%. I think it's more of an accidental splash guard instead of being intended to soak.

I will probably buy a softer cap and push it down very slightly - not enough to open the ACD by depressing it and try it like that. The cap that comes with it is rock hard.

I e-mailed AL and asked for one of the engineers to respond in detail as to how it should be rinsed and never got a response back. My LDS dealer said - "well, we've sold a ton of these devices and never seen one come back with water in it or had anyone complain". I told him I want him to get a clear answer the next time their sales rep visits.

The dust cap that came with my Dacor 900 (Yoke type) has an O-ring inside so the closure is water tight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom