Preventing mask loss vs a spare

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MOF:no:

:rofl3:

Hmm ... I thought it was: Mask On Forehead (MOF), Mask Not On Forehead (MNOF)

I don't carry a spare on cave dives, since being able to do a blind exit is required anyway. If there is to be deco involved in an open water dive, I'll carry a spare(and be more careful in the future not to sit on it--that "crunch" is distinctive, and expensive).

First Prototype

I started thinking about everyone’s comments and decided that the mask should be secured from loss due to a (one) strap or buckle failure in addition to having it yanked off by currents. After some experimenting I modified a Neoprene mask strap cover by adding a 1" plastic snap for nylon webbing that attaches to the base of the hood. Photos attached.

I used blue nylon for contrast but the black buckle, hood, mask, and mask strap cover limits the contrast. I hope you can make out what is going on.
Mask n Hood.jpg Mask Snapped.jpg Mask Release.jpg
I was afraid that it would be a PITA to connect and disconnect the snap with gloves, but it isn’t bad after a few practice tries. I tried this rig yesterday and am fairly satisfied with it considering it is a quick & dirty prototype. I wasn’t in rough surf and was freediving so it was not a good field test of holding power. Manual yanking indicates it quite secure from loss. The strap isn’t noticeable when placing the mask on the forehead and only barely noticeable when pulled down around the neck. It does resolve the major concern with resting the mask on the forehead — just let everybody onboard know that you do it and to hold the rescue team until blood is sighted. :wink:

Dry experiments indicated the following:
  1. Don’t forget to sew-over several thicknesses on the bitter-end of the webbing so it doesn’t pull out of the adjustable-end of the snap.
  2. You can probably sew the adjustable end once you find the best length.
  3. Make sure you use a male and female snap that is compatible with others you have — different brands don’t mix.
  4. I couldn’t get it to show in the photo but secure the mask strap cover with more than Velcro. You can close both ends by sewing, two zip-ties, or small screws. You can add additional security by pinning the hole(s) in the mask strap with the same method.
  5. Bolt and trigger snaps don’t work as well. They twist too much and are harder to connect/disconnect by feel with gloves. Small line instead of 1" webbing has the same problem.
To me, an ideal solution would be a large plastic twist lock. I considered installing a Common Sense brand twist lock but am concerned that a knock on the head would turn it into a lobotomy instrument. A large soft version would be easier to manage with gloves and safer from impact. It would hold the strap exactly where you want it and protect against a single strap or buckle failure.

Duct tape… I won’t even go there

Oh but they make such really pretty rolls of duct tape now! :rofl3: Just kidding. I really do like your idea of a retainer strap, just glad it's not yet another boltsnap!

+ 1 on mask strap under the hood

Never lost a mask either when not wearing a hood, although I have had a mask kicked off my face when diving with OW students, which was easily retrieved.

On shore dives I usually have my mask around my neck (or on if rough), and also when wading out to the dive boats here in UAE where on the east coast there are no jetties to board the boat. I have been with several divers this year who have lost their mask whilst wading out and holding on to the mask strap and fins. If it is round your neck you don't have to worry about it, especially on a boat too instead of being trampled on if it is left laying around. No mask = no dive

Would it work with a flap of neoprene at the back of the hood, sewn along the top, and velcro along the bottom - a bit like a zip protector on a drysuit. Put the mask on, get the strap under the flap, and velcro it down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom