Preventing lead shot oxidation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another great option is to use less, or no lead at all... Steel tanks and SS Backplates are a great place to start. Even in my drysuit, with medium undergarments, i don't need any lead.

Hi All
Thanks for all the bags full of advice:wink: - guess I was under a false impression all the time thinking the shot sold in the shops were somehow made oxidation proof. I will raid the kitchen cupboard this coming week and let you know how it went although I now recall having motor cycle tubes somewhere in the garage - that should make a strong but flexible inner pouch?

I tried using bicycle inner tubes. And gave up when I realized not only could I never keep the water out, the lake water would also be trapped inside. Possibly with invasive Quaqqa larvea that might be released on another dive, to spread the infestation. You'd have had to heat seal or glue them, I'd think. Just my tupence. But at least you're thinking about the problem.:thumb:

I stopped using lead years ago. Use depleted uranium now. Also saves on batteries for night dives.

Its pourable, and somewhat flexible, maybe grab the buckshot with hemostats and dip, then let it dry, on wax paper, or in a teflon skillet. Then once its dry, redip it, grabbing it so any exposed areas gets coated. Or put the buckshot into an open mould, and pour the Plastic Dip into it.

But an inner tube would be easier, just make sure the glue to seal the ends comes from an autoparts supplier, this glue will melt the rubber properly making an airtight and watertight seal, specifically made for patching innertubes. Once the glue is applied use a brick to hold pressure on 2" of glued end for a couple of hours.

Once the glue dries, you could punch the glued area and install brass tarp grommets, then you could hang the weights anywhere on your body :)

This isn't dissimilar from the way lead shot sold by Scubapro is sealed into plastic wallets.

Guys, it's all right to use lead. Just, please, for goodnes's sake, stop using these dreaded soft weights. Rubber coated solid block weights are perfectly healthy and environmentally friendly.

Do you have pics and what exactly are you spraying on and how thick?

It's called "Plasti-Dip".
You can get it at Lowes or any Hardware store.
It's made for dipping tools or whatever you want in it to give it a non slip rubberized surface.
Comes in a dip or in a spray.
Works great, Has lots of different colors to choose from, and i just put about 5-6 coats on and let it dry.

Just google "PLASTI-DIP SPRAY"

Also, I just got one of those vacuum seal machines for the kitchen, you could use that to seal the shot and comes in different mil thickness for whatever you need.

A while back, I bought 28 lbs of lead tire weights on eBay for $25 shipped. After researching to find this isn't unkown for dive use. Been tumbling all kinds of ways to melt it into shot, make pouches, etc.. Just figured out, what I'll do is cut off the steel clip, tie or tape string to them, and dip them in Plasti Dip. Shake off the excess, and hang them to dry. Once dry, snip off the thread and plasti dip to the lead, and dip that spot. They sell mesh and mesh basgs on-line. See if I can guesstimate the bouyancy effect of the plasti dip. And compensate with maybe a piece of one weight for each bag.

Thanks for inspiring me with this thread and all your ideas.:cool3:

Hi peterbj7
Thanks for that tip - We have a nuke power station in Cape Town although I think the Green Scorpions (RSA's own Environmental FBI) may be a tad paranoid and require me to keep them in "lead containers"
No seriously thanks for all the rubbery solutions - will see if it is locally available. (alwys be grateful - the States are DIY heaven)
I would love to try the SS back plate weightless option but do most of my photography in 12ft of water with surge not to mention me huffing and puffing so I cannot see myself staying down without some extra weight.
Being solo most of the time I also have to ask the question - what if you get entrapped (heaven forbid) and you have to remove that back plate - won't you surface like a Polaris missile?
To me the neatest solution will be stainless steel pellets - I will gladly swap all the lead I have for it and just make my pouches a bit bigger.

Back
Top Bottom