Prevent a child from drowning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, since becomming a new Dad 19 months ago, after reading the post I was crying like a schoolgirl(no offense to schoolgirls). Stories like this I take particular interest in, we own a pool and try to take extra steps for safety. I was interested in seeing the Children in previous posts wearing life jackets however, learning to swim. Our child's swim instructor told us to have our daughter learn to swim without floatation devices, especially the "floating" wetsuits, because at an early age the children cannot make the association between floating and the device they are wearing helping them float sooo a child might jump into the water without their "floaty", thinking they are going to float. I hope that came out right, nevertheless it takes great courage to post a message like that and I will do my best to keep our children safe and others around water, so Katybug can smile.........Eric

I started to snorkel when I was 5, so being into the water was natural to me.

But also, around 12, I got sucked out into the ocean one day very badly. Now I think I have a good balance of rational fear and love of the water.

Dont forget that shallow water can kill. Indeed it is possible, if not likely, that a person who inhales a cup of water could die on the spot. That is all it takes sometimes. Certainly a bucket, bathtub, or rubber pool can do the deed.

Our child's swim instructor told us to have our daughter learn to swim without floatation devices, especially the "floating" wetsuits, because at an early age the children cannot make the association between floating and the device they are wearing helping them float sooo a child might jump into the water without their "floaty", thinking they are going to float.

I understand the thinking, but the thing is, about half the time you have a *screamer* I think it is sometimes easier to help them get on the fast track by letting them get over their fear quickly, as opposed to dragging it out. The point is, once they get over the fear, you must proceed and finish the job of teaching them to swim. In my experience, it takes about two days. My son in the life jacket wore the jacket for a total of about 15 minutes, long enough to stop the hysteria.

Some children react completely differently to the water...my other child went right in and basically taught herself at 18 months. All she needed was to be supervised. I do agree that fear is a protective function and once you estinguish that, you better get on with the program very decisively because there is no turning back. It is actually very easy once they relax and stop struggling, which is what the free float accomplishes.

I just found in the *country club* summer toddler swim classes, with the other kids and mommies watching, young children were not allowed to cry long enough to get past the initial tantruming phase and that it prolonged the process. Starting the babies at nine or ten months often gets them before the real tantrum phase, but a lot of kids at 18 months to three years or so tend to very opinionated. My own opinion is that those kids need to be gotten past that stage as fast as possible, pretty much any way you can and quickly advanced on to swimming right away.

Interesting site. Am I missing something though ? Isn't the point get your kids safe/comfortable in the water ASAP i.e. teach them to swim/survive ?

"Get them water safe" was my Dad's quote. Mine are.

I always love walking with mine hand in hand. This year I did the same over a reef snorkelling. :D

Life is good..

The technique appears very impressive, and the cost per child is quire reasonable. What concerns me is what I find on their "Prospective Instructor" site:
"The tuition for the ISR training is $12,500.00; the investment for training and certification covers 50 hours of in-water work along with academic development and study sessions."
$250.00 per hour seems a bit steep for an organization who's motto is:
"To Prevent Drowning and Enrich the Lives of Children by Teaching Them to Swim."
Maybe I'm just a little too cynical.

My sister is a lifeguard and a swim instructor and one of the things she told me before starting swim lessons with my son was that I was NOT allowed (lol) to let him use floaties b/c she said it makes it a lot harder for the child to be willing to get into the water without them, and therefore learn to swim without them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom