President's Motorcade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The best one was when Clinton had a couple of runways at LAX closed while he was getting a haircut in Air Force One. When people waiting for their delayed flights learned why they were delayed, there was quite a bit of cussing on the live news interviews that night. :D

A few years ago when Al Gore zipped into town I had the pleasure of being in the motorcade as we zoomed around Snohomish County and North Seattle.

He was stunned and embarrassed by the ensuing gridlock as a result. He was asked if it was unusual and his response was a resounding YES. He was surprised by the impact on the Seattle freeways. I got a chance to mention that we are known for our traffic problems and a vice-presidential motorcade is more than enough to freeze movement. Fortunately there were no sporting events and it was about one o'clock on a Tuesday.

What an amazing strata of our society...

TSandM:
"That morning, I got on the freeway to get to work (where I was scheduled to be in an operating room at 7:30) and discovered they had CLOSED the entire freeway to allow his passage. Sitting."

Well, this is one thing the DC Metro Police does very, very well.

In two decades of communting in DC I never recall being stopped for a motorcade --- presdidential or otherwise -- for more than a few minutes at worst. When the president-de-jure zips through town with his mult-car dog and pony show there is hardly a ripple, even during rush hour.

I even saw a confused commuter split one in the middle once. Hillarity ensured.

It sounds like a far cry from Holland!! Years ago I worked as a sound/lights/general roadie/driver for an Australian cabaret group in Holland. We had a gig one day in part of a large theatre complex in Rotterdam. We arrived at the gate we were supposed to use to gain entrance but it was locked and no-one seemed to be there. While someone went to fetch someone to open it a number of cars arrived behind us and a lot of suited guys got out and seemed to be giving us strange looks. Eventually one of them came over and asked me who we were - which I told him. He asked if I minded moving the van so that they could get past because we were holding up the Queen! She was sitting in one of the cars on her way to attend a different function somewhere in another part of the complex. I suppose they would have had guns, but they were actually very polite and thanked us on her behalf when we got out of the way! :D

jepuskar:
WOW!! That was some pretty cool stuff. Bush is in downtown Chicago now and I walked down to see his motorcade passed by.

There was one lead police car that was ahead of the pack by about 30 seconds then about 20 cops on motorcycles and then a lot of SUV's a a couple limos...not sure if he was in a limo or an SUV but I saw alot of firepower in front and behind him.

Towards the back of the group were two vans with PRESS labeled on them. I'm curious what else was there that I didnt noticed. there wasnt a big group of people were I was at, but im sure there were plenty of plain clothes guys around.

HOT ACTION!!!

Having watched a motorcade or two of the imperial presidency it is a sad reflection on our democracy. Not that long ago Harry Truman took a daily walk after lunch. Now GWB does not move without a 300 + entourage.

Try cutting in behind the last SUV. The last thing you'll see is the back window lift as the 50 cal. machine gun shreds your car.

they still make those?

mdb:
Having watched a motorcade or two of the imperial presidency it is a sad reflection on our democracy. Not that long ago Harry Truman took a daily walk after lunch. Now GWB does not move without a 300 + entourage.
Another BDS

Thanks to members of society that don't know how to act ALL the Presidents have a huge motorcade and entourage. One of Pres. Reagan's guys was shot (Brady- hence the Brady Bill: gun control). It does suck that traffic comes to a standstill, but the motorcades are pretty cool to watch. When we lived by DC they would send out two different motorcades so you wouldn't know which one the President is in. It is sad that professional athlete's and musicians make more money than any of our Presidents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom