presidents' day weekend dive reports + hijack away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

VBlueV

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
well, i've inadvertantly been hijacking some other threads..
(so, turnabout fairplay.. hijack away)

the outlook for the holiday weekend was bleak due to high winds forecast..
however.. i still managed to find 4 days of diving anyways :D

friday.. the east shore dives were closed out and it was just gonna get worse over the course of the weekend.. (the lanai-lookout exit looked way scary.. not even i would get in.. and those that know me.. it must've been really bad)
so.. me and my buds from pacom (lonnie+4) jumped into portlock (sea-caves/china-walls).. lonnie was leading and saw a 6-foot white tip in one of the caves (i was in the back of the pack.. so by the time i got there it was all silted out and they said lonnie scared the shark away.. i did get to see a bunch of eels and crabs.. and during the surface interval, we also saw a couple whales breaching right off shore..

saturday.. i dove e-beach with at least four big OW classes there..
it was funny watching them try to do dry-land nav in the pavillion..
so.. monkey see monkey do.. i tried to find the shark cave..
heading 300° from the second pots..
but first found the arches.. then back-track'd to the cave..
current threw me off a bit :wink:
giant turtle in the left cave.. but no sharks that day.

sunday.. me and sherm took the ducky and doubles to the sea-tiger..
first dive i lead into the engine room.. some tight spots down there.. barely fit a set of doubles. second dive sherm lead down the left portal at the aft stairwell. saw a huge eagle ray on the descent of the first dive. sherm was thinkin' about calling the second dive due to 40kt gusts.. blah.. there was hardly a swell.. good viz.. and no current.. so we stayed.
(me << brain surgeon.. NOT)

monday.. "flat-2 feet" at makaha.. so me and some sea-lancers (julio+2) dove the caverns..
the lifeguards said it was flat there sunday too.. making for good viz monday..
awesome dives! 8 turtles atop the TCS with another couple dozen spotting the surrounding reef.. and of course the cool caverns seaward..

friday..
here's my new house at portlock.. *wish
portlockhouse.jpg

portlockcrab.jpg

saturday..
here's the fallen tower off the end of the pipes at e-beach
ebtower.jpg

ebbluesnap.jpg

sunday..
wonder if i could fit through this grate?
stgrate.jpg

stholds.jpg

shermdeco.jpg

monday..
lots o' turtles at makaha..
mktcs1.jpg

mkarch1.jpg

friday.. the east shore dives were closed out and it was just gonna get worse over the course of the weekend.. (the lanai-lookout exit looked way scary.. not even i would get in.. and those that know me.. it must've been really bad)

I thought so too! When I came around the corner and saw the wave action I called Roger and asked how it was on the South shore. Amazing the difference.

Glad you got some good dives in :wink: Thanks for sharing!!

wait a sec...I wore a hood on both dives that day...didn't I??? How old is that shot :)
Matter of fact I wore gloves too...cheater!

Hey,
I was with him when he took the pics of the fish at E-beach, Vblue is a conservationist, he RECYCLES..............:D

No diving but i saw a monk seal inside Hickam harbor today....

Back
Top Bottom