Prescription strength

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fulekia

New
Reaction score
Hey divers. Has anyone here ever tried a weaker prescription in their mask vs. your glasses/contacts? I need to order a new prescription mask, and wondered if water refraction makes enough difference to affect your prescription. For example, I've reached the age where bifocals are helpful, but not critical (I have a pair of glasses with a mild transition). Has anyone noticed if the "make things look closer" effect in the water makes bifocals more helpful or necessary? I once tried a weaker pair of glasses for computer use, which mostly worked, until I forgot to switch back and walked into a door frame :p

I have a pretty powerful prescription for nearsightedness, plus astigmatism and prisms, and already have a heck of a time whenever I get new glasses. I often need tweaks + remakes to avoid double vision, and don't want to spend a fortune, or get stuck with seeing double in the water until I can justify spending the money again.

For context, I'm mostly just snorkeling with my family, so depth isn't a thing, if that factors in at all.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom