Prescription Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I went with the use once throw away contacts. They are inexpensive and if one gets flushed out ouf your eye, no big deal, you were going to thow it away anyway.

Advantage: I can see when I take my mask off. I don't worry about some one setting a weight belt down on my prescription mask that cost me $180 (US) or more.

JimLap:
Have heard the same from others regarding having to wear the mask in and out of the water.:06: Big Deal! I have a hard case for my mask and right before I go in my glasses go in it and come out right after.

Exactly! I do the same thing. It's simple and simple is good.:D

I tried a prescription mask when I was first learning to dive, and to me, it was horrible. I usually wear contacts, but hate when they get pool water in it, so I figured salt water would be the same. I borrowed a mask with the same prescription as my contacts, but couldnt stand it, because if I got out of the water and took it off, I couldnt see a thing. I reccomend going with daily wear contacts and a normal mask, if that is an option to you. I guess alot of it depends on how bad your eyes are though. Mine are pretty bad, so I cant see much at all without some type of correction

utdivermatt:
I borrowed a mask with the same prescription as my contacts, but couldnt stand it

When they put the lenses in they ask for your pupilary distance (PD), too. Perhaps that parameter was not correct for you although the prescription matched. With all due respect, perhaps you didn't try out a prescription mask under the best of circumstances.

However, I think I get your point. If someone is used to contacts and has them already, perhaps the contacts with the mask is their simple solution.

I dive a prescription mask and really do like it. It has replaced lenses - not overlays. I have no problems with swaping off glasses and getting wet with the mask. However, I think we may be missing details in this thread: I have a relatively weak prescription (So can get around alright without lenses if necessary but couldn't drive legally) and I have never worn contacts, so would be very uncomfortable with them.

I suspect the strength of a prescription may make a difference in my chosen solution if I was pretty much blind without a lens on. I suspect others chosen solution is impacted by their relative comfort without a lens on.

Just a thought...

Went to Northern Diver in Chorley. They were really good, let me try the mask on before I bought it. Really pleased with the vision, had to go up a bit in one eye and down in the other but this seems okay. Yet to try underwater, but we leave for Turkey in two weeks for 7 months working/training. Not got a problem swapping from glasses to mask, I just feel a lot easier about having the prescription mask rather than lenses, now I can get on with enjoying the dives rather than worring about my vision.

My first ‘prescription’ mask was an old USD oval mask that I glued glasses lenses into. I used lenses from a pair of military-issue glasses because the front surface was nearly flat. I think I used ‘Goop’-brand glue. It worked just fine. Of course, I had to let it sit for about a week before I used it so I wouldn’t get high while wearing it…

I used it for snorkeling and part-way through my OW cert. Then (1993) I bought the salesman’s ‘low profile’ pitch and bought a USD ‘Hawaii 2’ mask w/ even-diopter lenses.

On most of my dives I’ve use disposable contact lenses w/ the flat lenses in the mask. However, in classes where I know I’ll likely be removing my mask, I put the prescription lenses back in, and don’t risk loosing contacts. It’s fairly easy to switch back and forth.

Like JimLap mentioned, when I use the prescription lenses I leave my glasses on ‘til the last moment, then put ‘em in my mask box when I put my mask on.

My prescription lenses are –6.0 and –7.0. My current contact prescription is –6.5 and –7.5. So without corrective lenses I have to have someone lead me to the water.

I can tell that I can’t see ‘quite right’ on the surface w/ my prescription lenses, but underwater it’s fine.

I also always carry an old set of glasses in my dive bag, just in case something happens to my glasses or contacts while diving. That way, at least I’ll be able to drive home.

Also, when and if I start carrying a backup mask, it'll probably have prescription lenses, on the assumption that I'll loose my contacts if my mask get's kicked off. However, here on SB there have been several people claim you can take your mask off underwater, open your eyes, and you won't loose the contacts. So far I've only tried this in extra-confined-freshwater (the bathtub) and they stayed put.

I dispose of my disposable contacts after diving, just in case they got any nasties in 'em.

Seavision all the way! I purchased my sea vision mask in 1995 and use it regularly to this day! Excellent quality mask and perfect prescription grinding. I had muine check out prior to my first dive. Excellent product at a very reasonalble cost.
Paul

You all who are near-sighted can check out the HYDROOPTIX mask. It is a radical deviationfrom the normal mask, and really makes sense. It doesn't work at all for people with 20/20 vision. 20/20 People who use it have to use contacts. Why? You can see 3.5 x more stuff! It really makes sense why this is the only way to go, especially if you are nearsighted... you don't hae to wear any prescription at all if you are lucky!

Check out their website, I think it's hydrooptix.com, and literally SEE FOR YOURSELF!

The thing that put me over the edge was the basic demonstration of the diver turning their head... When the mask becomes a miror, the diver can't see you, and you can't see the. With this mask, you can see them all the way through without loss of peripheral vision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom