Prescription masks = Great

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drez

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, just wanted to share my experiences. I had always dove with a regular mask and contact. I however hate contact and salt water and/or wind on the boat does not help matter. Anyway tried some Rx masks in the GBR on a trip to Aussie this year and can't express how much I love them. My wife who is in the same boat but with a stronger Rx was always afraid of loosing the contacts underwater was always pretty paranoid about flooding her mask which sometimes lead to a mask squeeze, Rx mask = problem solved. If you have prescription I would say give it a try!

PS after returning ended up buying our own, if anyone know the right place to review an online retailer on the boards here would gladly do that too

Cheers!

I'd like to know a good retailer for an Rx mask - online or otherwise. I'm looking both in Vancouver, Canada and the Philippines.
We bought a mask in the Philippines and then paid $100+ to have the prescription lens added via a local (Langley, BC) dive shop. Unfortunately - it now leaks.....

We had good luck with:

Get Wet Store dot com <-- sorry board thinks Im at risk for robotism

I found them through the bay where they have a variety of options w/ and w/o Rx. You can also shop directly off there web page and if your lucky you can find a closeout too. Regardless, for $100CAD should be able to find a decent mask w/ Rx shipped tax incl.

I was always under the impression Rx masks were super expensive too b/c when I first asked my local shop about it they were talking $80 for the mask, another close to $100 for the Rx and then tax on top but we got our pair for less than that.

I started with my favorite mask (no leaks, and I have a beard-albeit closely trimmed)and aafter I had used it long inough that it was indusputibly my favorite I took it to my local dive shop and they sent it in for bifocal rx. Works quite nicely although the reading rx is a bit larger than I like so I sometimes am found holding my mask to tilt it down a bit. Seems like it was around $80. or so but it has been a while so I'm not sure about the price. Key though was to start with a mask you have had long enough to trust not to leak. I have about 5 masks which all work fine in the pool but leak down deep (I know, lose the beard:chinese:). I do trim the moustache back from my nose for dive trips. Had it for 40 yrs. I'm KEEPING IT:mooner:

Another option is Prescription Dive Masks in LaJolla, California. I've used them for years with absolutely no complaints.

You can buy a mask from them, but I prefer to buy my own and mail it to them along with a copy of my prescription. Good customer service and a fairly quick turnaround of about two weeks.

If your issue is just distance correction (minimal astigmatism) many dive mask manufacturers make lenses that will work. Seavision makes good products to your prescription. That said, contacts work great! I've never lost one diving.

I don't wear contacts at all, and thanks to my dad, I had lenses placed in my masks from a very early age when I was only snorkelling (my eyesight is horrible w/o glasses).

Once I started scuba diving. I first found my mask, then I had my LDS send it off for lenses. Now, I keep 2 identical masks - each with prescription lenses.

Funny thing, once I lost my glasses and had to use my dive mask to drive until I was able to get to the store and get a new pair. :D

There are 4 or 5 retailers globally that do good jobs (us included). Depends on where you are in the world. We cover Asia Pacific mostly.

Once I started scuba diving. I first found my mask, then I had my LDS send it off for lenses. Now, I keep 2 identical masks - each with prescription lenses.

Funny thing, once I lost my glasses and had to use my dive mask to drive until I was able to get to the store and get a new pair. :D

You know dude, having two identical even standard glass favorite masks
is a perfect idea for almost a lifetime of masks until dictated otherwise by
fashion.

You know, last weekend I was sandblasting with a mask on to prevent the
ricochets bouncing off my face rattling around inside the safety glasses
and into my eye.

Makes for great no nose breathing practice. Mandatory sandblasters for
everyone.

What kinda defog did you use driving. :D

I agree with someone else on this forum who recommended Prescription Dive Masks of La Jolla, CA. I've had two of their masks and both were outstanding. I've been using the later one for four years.

I also agree with the recommendation that you buy a good mask that fits and send it along with your lens prescription. They have a good website: prescriptiondivemasks.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom