Prescription mask or Contact lenses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I prefer contacts so I can see underwater as well as on the surface without the blind stumble from my surface site to the water line.

I use gas permeable contacts which work great... however if the mask floods, they become very uncomfortable but manageable. I can finish the dive with a bit of discomfort and then remove them once the dive is over. Only bad side is that's the end of my diving day right now.

I'm in the process of getting a prescription mask in case this happens, to have a backup just in case.

I already have a dive mask with RX. But like many, I can't see squat w/o lenses. So, I am actually gonna look at getting contacts just for this reason. Dive w/ the contacts and have the RX mask as back up so losing the contacts/mask flooded doesn't end the dive. Never really thought of it this way.

I needed to wear safety glasses at work frequently, so I gave up contacts and went back to glasses. I think I have better vision with them (nearsighted). Since then, I have aged enough to need bifocals.

My mask has off-the-shelf lenses that are close to my prescription (which has changed a bit over the years since I bought the mask). I need to move my gages around to get them at the right point where I can see, so glue-in readers may be the next step.

Here's something to know: with soft contact lenses, the lenses don't (necessarily) come right out if you have to open our eyes underwater without a mask on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom