prescription lenses for mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have astigmatism so standard corrective lenses won't work and I also need bifocals. Anyone have recommendations about who does the best job, best mask, etc.?

I have a Rx that is about -3 -1@90deg or so. I use a Look mask (Technisub and apparently AquaLung in the US) with -3.50 spherical correction. It is a reasonable option for me. I believe that DiveInn has these masks and lenses at a reasonable price.

Have not looked into ground lenses as the correction is "good enough" for me. YMMV if you have more astigmatism than I do.

I just priced prescription lenses for my Apollo Prestige mask at my LDS.

Off the shelf corrective lenses were $40 a piece available in 0.5 increments.
Custom Ground lenses for my astygmatic right eye were $80 a piece.

I seriously considered this until I realised that I would be unable to see if I removed the mask (duh!), so I'd need to leave my mask on all the time in the water, and I would have to carry a spare mask with prescription lenses just incase a strap broke and I lost the mask in the water. In the end I decided that using contacts was just a lot less hassle.

I have had a history of eye problems,such as detached retinas, cataracts, and the start of glaucoma,and because of surgeries I can no longer wear a contact in my right eye. I tryed diving with just a standard mask ,but of coarse I was not seeing nearly as much as there was to see. I ended up buying a Seavision with corrective lenses as well as bifocals. I also found out that my insurance was willing to pay for the lenses and the installation into the mask, I ended up only paying for just the standard mask. This is without a doubt my best piece of equipment.

There is a formula your optometrist can give you that averages the astigmatic correction with the myopia to determine a new perscription . That's what I did, and I see great.

I "think" the formula is your perscription + 1/2 the astimatism correction; the angle is not used.

So, in my case, for my right eye I am a -5, with a -2.5 astig. So the adjusted perscription is -5 plus -1.25 = -6.25. (adjusted up to -6.5) Similar for the left eye, but it comes out to -5. Ordered standard lens

There's a term for this formula that escapes me, but its something like "the circle of least confusion". Ask your Doc.

BTW, when dry, I wear progresive bi-focals, so, as my near vision worsens over time, I will probably have to go to a ground lens for my mask, or maybe try the stick on bi-focal sheets. I've heard they're OK. So far, I can still read my gauges ;-)

and need Verilux progressive lenses for my presbiopia (Gee, I sound pitiful!) and I've been using Sea Vision masks with their ground RX lenses for years.

I just give them my RX, they make my mask and send it to my dive shop. It's pricey but I can see just as well u/w as I do above.

Dee once bubbled...
and need Verilux progressive lenses for my presbiopia

Not a personal question, just curiosity. Are there medical reasons for "needing" progressive lenses instead of going with bifocals? Or is it an image thing? (no pun intended)

I "think" the formula is your perscription + 1/2 the astimatism correction; the angle is not used.

I have a lot of astigmatism (as well as other eye problems) and if the angle of the cylinder is off by 5 degrees, I can get an eyestrain headache very, very quickly.

Without the angle (cylinder angle) spec'd, I can't imagine how they can grind a lens for an astigmat.

I'm myopic, with a fair amount of astigmatism. I also use progressive bifocals on the surface. What I have now is SeaVision lenses, with a Rx that was "dialed back" by my optodoc because of the mag factor of the water. I use the stick-on bifocal thingies.

I also have toric-ground contacts, and have used them with a regular mask. But these depend on gravity for correct orientation, so when I look down, they "float", rotating out of alignment. I then need to look up to re-orient. Plus, need the bifocal thing to read my gauges.

Gonna talk to the doc again soon, and get a new Rx for bifocal lenses from SeaVision (I'm using USD Hawaii II primary and backup masks).

Joe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom