prescription drugs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To the OP: When I lived in Mexico (about 15 years ago) most meds, pretty much everything other than narcotics, were available without a prescription, so Mexican customs would not be concerned with them. However, the U.S. customs when you return may want to see documentation. It's for the U.S. authorities, not the Mexican ones, that you need to have your meds in the original containers. But I agree with the recommendation to only bring what you will need, plus a few days' worth in case of delays on your return.

I'm under the impression that buying meds outside the U.S. and then bringing them in is illegal. The U.S. customs officials will not care that it's the same med that your prescription is for.

In PDC 3 years ago my wife got valium over the counter. Why admit this on a public internet forum you ask? Read on:

After thinking our 10 year old son was dead and drowned for 20 minutes the day before she needed to calm her nerves.

On our very very first OPW dive (as part of us getting certified) we dropped to 40' and our "instructor" took off expecting us to follow. We did but our son must have stopped to look at something. Luis our instructor turns around at some point, so do we, and our kid is GONE. Before we knew it we hit the surface, we got on the boat and Luis descends. You don't realize how BIG the ocean is until something like this happens. Anyway I'm seasick and hurling my heavy lunch overboard while trying to a) keep my wife calm (not) and b) keep those same thoughts that are in her head from creeping into mine. He popped up way off in the distance 20 minutes later after doing a solo dive. As for anyone asking about a pre-dive briefing, what briefing? We also showed up at a LDS a month later and got asked about a "log book?" what's that?

All this being said and done she did get certified several months later and we've been diving ever since.

As I replenish my meds, I'm keeping the old bottles. I'll transfer the current meds to the old bottles and just take the amount I need to take with me in the current bottles. I'm sure, from reading all the posts on this thread, that will be sufficient. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom