Prescribed Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm only an Optician of 15 years, which only qualifies me to give you nothing more than my opinion. Something you also have to take into consideration when working with cyl in an Rx to fix your astigmatism issues, is your pupillary distance (PD). If your PD is off, you'll induce what is known as prism. Prism can be a huge reason for diplopia (or double vision). This induced prism will also cause eye strain making you much more prone to headaches. I would HIGHLY recommend a custom made mask to anyone whose Rx has more then 0.50 diopters of cylinder.. Yes there is an expense involved, but if your an avid diver, you wont regret it..

Feel free to pm me if you have any question..

Custom prescription masks rock, but yes, there is a cost.

Most important thing once you get one: Don't lose it! Get a good neoprene mask strap replacement (not a silly slap strap that goes over the rubber, replace the whole strap) and be careful with it on exits and entries! $200+ (mask, prescrpt. lenses, custom strap) down the drain + missed dives while awaiting a replacement really bites.

Thus speaketh the bitter voice of experience... :wink:

GS9826:
Hi

I just bought an Atomic sub frame mask recently and had the manufacturer fited the off shelf prescribed lens onto the mask.

I have some astigmatism and when I tried the Atomic mask, I see double images.

I am not sure if my astig plays a part in this as the prescription len only cover my shortsightedness. I have no such problem with my old TUSA Liberator mask which is also using off shelf prescribed lens.

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

I too have recently gotten a sub frame mask with off the shelf prescribed lenses from atomic and i was very disappointed. the actual prescription from atomic isn't as clear and crisp as the same amount as the TUSA lens. also, keep in mind that although the mask fit great and felt great in the shop, once i got the new lens, the extra thickness butts up against my brow and is not as comfortable because it is such a low volume mask.:seen: :crossbone

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom