Prescribed Mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GS9826

Registered
Reaction score
Hi

I just bought an Atomic sub frame mask recently and had the manufacturer fited the off shelf prescribed lens onto the mask.

I have some astigmatism and when I tried the Atomic mask, I see double images.

I am not sure if my astig plays a part in this as the prescription len only cover my shortsightedness. I have no such problem with my old TUSA Liberator mask which is also using off shelf prescribed lens.

Can anyone advise? Thanks.

Did you have the insert lenses added? Or did your LDS order the mask from Atomic with the prescription lenses?

If you have the insert lenses, I've noticed that the subframe is narrower than the average dive mask I've used before. If this is the case with you, the lenses may not be centered enough over your eyes.

I am not an optometrist, nor did I stay at Holiday Inn last night. I used to use a large purge mask with contact lenses and switched to a subframe with the lenses installed special order by Atomic. I have an astigmatism and have no problems whatsoever.

Excellent mask, by the way.

Thanks guys. Atomic assembled the prescribed lens in their factory before sending to my LDS. I did gave them my eyesight readings taken by my optometrist.

Scared Silly, is RX lens only for astigmatism greater than -1 cyl? And I presume this are different from the std prescribed lens Atomic fitted for me?

There are no "new masks bugs" associated with this problem.

You are getting double vision because of your astigmatism. Your glasses would do the same if they didn't account for this. I would call Atomic and have them make CUSTOM lenses for you and replace the off-the-shelf ones.

The person I talked with at DEMA said that the masks are new for them and after our conversation said they had some things to work when it came to Rx side of it.

They really do not know whether someone needs custom Rx lenses or off the shelf lenses. For some people the off the shelf Rx lenses will work sometimes they do not (even for those with slight astigmatism). There is no guidence as they are not optometrists (I do not expect them to be).

For instance, Atomics should require that your full Rx be sent in. They should then consult with their supplier (Aquatic Optics) about the Rx and whether off the shelf Rx lenses will work or not. If they think off the shelf lenses will work great - but if they do not, they need to a have a very simple way to return them and get custom rx lenses.

GS9826 - As I understand this people with slight astigmatism (-1 <-> 1) do not always need the astigmatism correction. It all depends on the type and severity. I think the tolerances for the split frame is much smaller than with others masks.

My advise return the mask - do not get it wet and have a custom rx done. After that it will be fine.

Happy New Year!!!

Sorry for the late reply. I just got get from diving in Komodo. Absolutely awesome!! You guys should try to go there someday.

Rakkis, some how when I took off my glasses and look at things, I see blurry but not double visions.

Anyway I did not wet the mask yet. I will ask the Dive Shop to ask Aquatic Optics whether it is possible to change the lens for me. Thanks for the help.

GS9826:
Happy New Year!!!

Sorry for the late reply. I just got get from diving in Komodo. Absolutely awesome!! You guys should try to go there someday.

Rakkis, some how when I took off my glasses and look at things, I see blurry but not double visions.

Anyway I did not wet the mask yet. I will ask the Dive Shop to ask Aquatic Optics whether it is possible to change the lens for me. Thanks for the help.

Astigmatism is essentially caused by your cornea being irregularly shaped. When light passes through it, an irregular cornea will focus that light in 2 spots rather than one. Your brain will usually interpret this as either a fuzzy image or as double vision. Since the brain is malleable, it will overtime correct a bit of this.

When you put a lens in front of your eye, the thickness of that lens will affect light coming in to your eye. Now put a medium with a different diffraction coefficient (water in front) and the information your brain gets is not different than you are used to because light gets bent slightly differently. Different thickness lenses (diff model masks) add another variable to this.

That's why prescription lenses are made for each custom prescription. That way you don't have to deal with this nonsense. A small degree of astigmatism can usually be ignored as your brain will compensate, but it looks like you would benefit from adding this correction to your lenses in your case.

e|
e| ideal

e|
e| cornea has small astigmatism. image is distorted

e|
e/ lens makes correction. everybody happy

Glad you had fun! Contact the optics company and have them make custom lenses.

This thread was very helpful. I have been considering off the shelf lenses for my next mask. With cylindrical corrections of -1 an -2.25 I can see that I want them done to script. The LDS only asked about diopters when I was in shopping.

Thanks,
Pete

I have astigmatism and use Seavision's custom lenses. You can't go wrong with custom lenses...the Seavision web site allows you to enter the script on-line. The mask I received was perfect...people think I'm weird at the quarry or on the boat when I wear my mask walking to the entry site or during SI...it's the only way I can see without chasing down my stupid glasses all the time. It's expensive as masks go, but what price is too high to be seeing well and not having a headache and double vision all day.

Astigmatism sufferers should probably always use custom lenses unless it's a very mild case, especially if you are using the mask several hours at a time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom