Prerequisites for solo certification.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
While looking through some of the recent forum topics I noticed that a couple of agencies offer a solo certification. I was just wondering if those agencies required a rescue, divemaster or any other certifications prior to signing up for their solo certification course.

I'm told SDI asks for AOW, 100 dives, and age 21.

I believe you will also have a ton of gear obligations as well. So save up and good luck with your training. I plan on taking this course soon as well.

KidK9:
I believe you will also have a ton of gear obligations as well. So save up and good luck with your training. I plan on taking this course soon as well.

So you are signed up with what agency? and did you have to have AOW, 100 dives, and be 21?

I havent taken it yet, but I think the only agency that offers it is SDI. I dont know, but I fall into all those categories if that is what it requires. If you wait a day, I could tell you more, b/c I emailed my instructor about it at my LDS. Hope that helps.

KidK9:
I havent taken it yet, but I think the only agency that offers it is SDI. I dont know, but I fall into all those categories if that is what it requires. If you wait a day, I could tell you more, b/c I emailed my instructor about it at my LDS. Hope that helps.

Please pass that info on to me if you would.

From SDI

Minimum age 21
Minimum certification of AOW
Minimum of 100 dives

Some of the skills

Surface swim of two hundred meter (600 ft)
Demonstrate proficiency o fnavigation with compass
Demonstrate emergency change over to a backup regulator or bailout scuba at a depth not exceeding 100ft
deploy surface marker and use of surface audible signaling device.

Required equipment

Basic SDI open water scuba equipment
One of the following must be used to procide an additioal independent regulator attached to an air source , Pony Bottle, twin cylinders w/isolation , h valve, independent doubles, SpareAir

Hope this help.

Al

Here is the info right from the SDI Manual

GDI:
Here is the info right from the SDI Manual

Thanks GDI,

That's everything and a bag of chips. I will be looking into this further probably next summer. Charlottesville, VA looks like my closest option and that is nearly a 3-hour drive.

I do a good bit of solo diving in shallow water with my work. There are usually other divers in the water but it is a kin to diving in the same ocean type buddy system. Usually the vis. is so bad even if you are just beyond arms length you are literally on your own, and entanglements are always present or the day’s task will dictate that we go our separate ways to increase our overall efficiency.

We train often and practice techniques at every opportunity. Just looking at the requirements I'd say we cover it fairly well with few exceptions.

Anyway a little more training can never hurt....right?

Thanks again for all your info.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom