Prepping for Kona & Oahu May 7-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I love this board - been reading a lot (Ohau and Big Islang Revealed, of course this board) and it's been very helpful! THANK YOU to ALL!

I'd love to get some of your recommendations about our tentative plan.

So my boyfriend and I are landing in HNL and then flying directly to Kailua-Kona (Wed May 7) so we can dive and check out the volcanoes. Then fly out of HILO to HNL (May 10).

We're planning to dive on the Kona side - maybe with Jacks (morning and manta dive) -May 8.

1 - Would it be good to snorkel for the mantas? (worried about decompression if we want to drive to west and check out volcanoes the next day.)

2 - Any recommendations for reasonably priced places to stay and dine on the west side?

3 - We plan to rent a car to get from Kona side to HILO - Recommendations for rental and how is the drive from the west to the east?

If we can we'd like to check out the volanoes or falls - Hopefully we won't suffer decompression or altitude sickness.

Then fly back to HNL (May 10). Would like to dive North Shore - Shark's Cove if possible. Any reviews on Deep Ecology? Other dive shops that are in North Shore?

We are planning to bring mask, fins, snorkel, wet suits and rent gear (bc, reg, computer) on the islands rather than rent here and bring on the plane. Hopefully my new Henderson Thermoprene 5mm will keep me warm. :)

I appreciate all your feedback! :)

I was in Hawaii in '02 and dove with Deep Ecology while on Oahu. I don't remember the dive sites that we went to right now, but the DM and boat capt. we had were very knowledgeable and professional. Jack's Diving locker on the big island is great, we called ahead and setup the Manta dive and rental gear. When we got there everything was ready as well as direction to a few places we could shore dive. Defiantly do the manta trip on SCUBA. The manta’s stay down near the lights after it gets dark, and will come very close. My brother and I just used 3mm wetsuits so your 5mm should be fine. I would recommend both shops.

Enjoy your trip and dive safe.

The 5mm is more than enough for Oahu, should be fine for Kona... although I never get cold diving in my 3mm full, I DID get cold in Kona. As great as the diving with the manta's is, going over the mountain to volcano side within the time frame will be an issue. When I did the manta's there was only one manta that showed up, but he went up towards the snorkelers too!

Keep in mind the volcano has been spewing poisonous gases lately and you may not be allowed close enough for viewing... or on the other hand, it could calm down a bit in the next few weeks and you will get to see NEW lava flows. It's a real gamble right now...

A buddy of my dive buddy uses Deep Ecology and recommends it. Very convenient being right there.

As far as rental cars go, most have a shuttle at Kona that takes you to their office, except for Enterprise, but they may pick you up personally and take you to their office which is closer to town. Make sure that you are going to be able to pick up in Kona and drop off in Hilo... I wanted to do this myself on my next trip (except opposite way around, Hilo then Kona) and someone warned me to double check first...

Thanks Scuba Carl and crab lover! Very helpful! I get cold easily so I was even thinking about getting the 7mm thermoprene :)

Good point about the volcanoes and the rentals. I am trying to play with the schedule and see if it's better to start off in HILO and then drive to Kona side for the diving then fly back to HNL. We're trying to do a lot on a short amt of time. ;-) We're very excited!

I am going to be (hopefully) diving in a 3mm shorty (I stay comfortable in cold water) My wife tends

We have a jeep rental from the 3rd to the 10th on the big island. Its 273 for the week. We are staying at the kona reef condo - week cost was $1200 (oceanfront room)

I will be there from May 3rd through the 10th - and then on to Honolulu from the 10th to the 13th. I am diving with Wanna Dive Kona - I have two sets of day dives, and two sets of the night/manta dives (two nights gives us a MUCH better chance of seeing the manta's) As far as depth goes, I understand the manta ray dive is only about 20-25 feet deep.

We are "planning" on spending a night in volcano - but - were playing that by ear (due to the current erruption) - the idea that we had is depart from kona, go to south point + green beach, head to volcano, and then go into hilo the next day, and take an ATV tour. (and continueing around the island to kona.

I'm not sure on diving on Oahu - I would like to do some - but - don't have anything booked yet.

I had a very good experience with Deep Ecology about 2 years ago, They have a neat shop and it helps to dive w/ someone who knows their way around Shark's Cove (which is an awesome shore dive):wink:

Oh yeah, Splasher's in Kona is a great place to eat. Decent prices and HUGE portions! Ate breakfast there twice and couldn't come near finishing my plate!

We as a group (Kaimana Divers) stayed at the Kona Seaside Hotel. You get what you pay for there... inexpensive room, but little amenities. Walking distance to most everything and Splasher's right around the corner if you take the exit by the pool in the back.

BTW, do you already have a shortie? If so, you could use that over the 5mm if you wind up getting cold. Rather than have to buy an entire new suit that you MAY not need...

Hi everyone! I love this board - been reading a lot (Ohau and Big Islang Revealed, of course this board) and it's been very helpful! THANK YOU to ALL!

I'd love to get some of your recommendations about our tentative plan.

So my boyfriend and I are landing in HNL and then flying directly to Kailua-Kona (Wed May 7) so we can dive and check out the volcanoes. Then fly out of HILO to HNL (May 10).

We're planning to dive on the Kona side - maybe with Jacks (morning and manta dive) -May 8.

1 - Would it be good to snorkel for the mantas? (worried about decompression if we want to drive to west and check out volcanoes the next day.)

2 - Any recommendations for reasonably priced places to stay and dine on the west side?

3 - We plan to rent a car to get from Kona side to HILO - Recommendations for rental and how is the drive from the west to the east?

If we can we'd like to check out the volanoes or falls - Hopefully we won't suffer decompression or altitude sickness.

Then fly back to HNL (May 10). Would like to dive North Shore - Shark's Cove if possible. Any reviews on Deep Ecology? Other dive shops that are in North Shore?

We are planning to bring mask, fins, snorkel, wet suits and rent gear (bc, reg, computer) on the islands rather than rent here and bring on the plane. Hopefully my new Henderson Thermoprene 5mm will keep me warm. :)

I appreciate all your feedback! :)

You'll enjoy dving with Jack's while in Kona. Ok, let my try to answer some questions:

1.) I'd recommend scuba diving over snorkeling for the manta dive!! And driving the following day to Volcano should be fine... altitude will go above 3,000 feet on the drive, but manta dive is shallow, and you'll have at least 12 hours before arriving at altitude... but follow your own judgement on that.... Jack's will probably recomend the DAN guidelines since you will be making 2 dives so to be safe you may want begin your drive early afternoon.

2.) Kailua Kona is expensive. But the good news is that everything is walking distance, so just ask hotel front desk or dive shop staff where THEY eat :D

Driving from Kona to Hilo you can go either North or South routes. South is faster to the volcano area, but a more difficult drive (highway is narrow and windy just south of Kona).

Have fun!

You might be better off to pick only a couple of things to do if time is short. You’re already spending much time traveling between islands. Why on earth are you going from HNL to KOA then back to HNL????
If you can’t direct to KOA; visit Oahu then come to Kona. Personally I’d just stick to one island. But if you’re intent on two I’d try for at least direct to and from one or the other. The air time between TBI and Oahu is miniscule compared to the time it takes to deal with rentals, parking, find your way, let alone traffic….I don’t get this plan at all. Just getting out of HNL to somewhere else on the island is a s l o w process.

Certainly you can snorkel the manta dive, but it’s not quite the same thing. I have sat on my stop up in the bleachers so to say getting the wide angle picture which was a pleasure. Yes when there are a lot of them and a lot of people lighting the place up like a stadium they do cruise around…and they tossed me around like a beach ball up there at 10’. The boat’s all have lights, the Manta’s can really be anywhere.

But the Manta Dive is really a two tank. You go out for an afternoon dive at the same site and is always a nice dive – the Garden Eels alone are cool if you haven’t seen them before. Then a sandwich while the sun sets and back in the water at dark for the main event. It is a roughly 40’ dive and the Manta’s are a zooming over head – literally. You shouldn’t but you could touch them, they are that close. And if no manta’s show up I’d expect it wouldn’t be such a great night snorkel site. But is a great night dive even without any Manta’s.

A morning dive is also a two tank. So you might get cold by the Manta, I do on a 4 dive day and have a core warmer or can layer one wetsuit over the other – love them Henderson Hyperstretches. I’m diving in a 5ml here in the winter; probably back to my 3ml by May though. Jacks is good, with good gear, service and aloha. You should book with them ASAP, they stay very busy. Otherwise there are plenty of other good Ops, but you might have to do some leg work to get in on a Manta trip – not everyone goes out nightly for the Manta. I think Jack’s does all but Thur. Anyway, you’ll need to be checking on that – or again spend your time here spinning wheels.

Personally I wouldn’t worry much about driving to Volcano after the Manta dive…I drive home after Two Step which takes me up to 1,500’. However the Park is uncertain - what is open at the moment. You need to check with it and probably daily. There is some activity that has been spewing ash and sulfur as well as high Vog with some voluntary evacuations recommended. It varies daily as does the air quality here in Kona. Amazingly so. Beautiful gorgeous paradise in the AM and dingy dark and foreboding by 11am. Viewing the lava access has been off and on. A school, Volcano House and the Jagger Museum were closed earlier this week. Today has to have been the worst so far in Kona with the trades out on holiday for a couple of days.

TBI runs out of rental cars. I can’t say they will when you are here but I hear people having that problem all the time, I’d book it now. And TBI is pretty much get a car at the airport – unless you’re staying at the megabuck resorts up North Kohala. Check to be sure you could return at Hilo.

If you stay at say the Kona Seaside it is in the heart so to speak of Kona with lots of dining, clubs, shopping etc all along Alii Drive or just up Palani. Jacks is right there a short walk away. The Seaside is pretty basic, but the King Kam next door cost’s more and just has a nicer lobby. I’m not sure how you’d get from the airport to Kona – maybe there is service besides the HELEON? Roberts? Last I needed to look, the place by the Lighthouse was the cheapest rental – no where near the airport – maybe will come and fetch.If I was visiting here, I’d get a car period, and I do on Oahu.

Probably my favorite dining in, or near Kona, is Jamision’s By The Sea, get a deck reservation or next and closer is Huggo’s On The Rocks. If ambiance is unnecessary it’s the Japanese sushi and sashimi in Coconut Grove by Jacks. Breakfast at Lava Java. LuLu’s is not bad food, can be a bit rowdy at night, daytime has nice rail seat view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom