Preparing new gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herpel

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have just gotten my new and first divegear sent to me. What do I have to do to attatch the octopus to the first stage the right way? Is a monkey wrench all i need to use? I have heard that securing it with your fingers first and then tighten a little bit more with a monkey wrench, is this correct? Does this apply for the BC inflatorhose also?

If this is too complicated to do by myself I just have to get to the nearest dive center which is an hour away. But I prefer doing this by myself and learning it that way, and rather have a professional cheking it before my first dive with it.

Hopefully someone can help me out.
Thanks in advance! -Alex

Herpel:
Hi everyone!

I have heard that securing it with your fingers first and then tighten a little bit more with a monkey wrench, is this correct? Does this apply for the BC inflatorhose also?

Monkey wrench??

Egad

My advice would be to bring your gear to a dive shop and have them set it up properly. Maybe ask if you could watch them do it so that you can perform maintenance in the future.

I always bring my stuff to the dive shop for any changes in my gear which require disconnecting/changing/etc hoses and the like.

Where a monkey wrench fits into all this is a mystery to me.

I think he means a cresent wrench maybe, screw it on finger tight and then give it a little nudge with the wrench.

Best thing to do is have the dive shop show you how to do it, so you can do it on your own next time. You want to make sure you got everything coming from the right ports and not all mixed up and then you end up with a hose mess behind your head.

Also after putting on hoses and actually before every dive, you should do a bubble check to make sure no bubbles are coming from your hoses. You can do this at home by just spraying some soapy water on your 1 st stage near the ports and turn the air on, it it bubbles, you have a leak.

Please, do not use a monkey wrench! The jaws will destroy the soft brass. Ideally use the correct wrench for the fitting. Cresent wrench 2nd choice. But never use pliers or a monkey wrench.

I agree with the others. Take it to a LDS, let them do it, you watch. Its not complicated, but if you hook a low pressure hose to a high pressure port, things will be ugly when you crack the valve on the tank......

Thanks for the heads up everyone! No monkey wrench is goint to be used! :11:

As for the ports, I now where the reg, octo, dry suit hose and the others are going. Just needed to hear about the way of attatching them. =)

But the trip to the LDS is probably for the best, can get a bit expensive if I don't.

Thanks for the replies guys and girls.

-Alex

Get a small adjustable wrench. (aka Crescent wrench)

Attaching the hose is easy, just unscrew the plug, and screw in the hose. Once it is hand tight, use the wrench to tighten it up slightly. No need to force it much, as the seal is achieved by the o-ring. The objective is to make sure that it doesn't unscrew by itself. If you start using your whole arm to do the tightening, that's too much force!

You may have to experiment a little on which ports work best for hose routing.

paulwlee:
Get a small adjustable wrench. (aka Crescent wrench)

Attaching the hose is easy, just unscrew the plug, and screw in the hose. Once it is hand tight, use the wrench to tighten it up slightly. No need to force it much, as the seal is achieved by the o-ring. The objective is to make sure that it doesn't unscrew by itself. If you start using your whole arm to do the tightening, that's too much force!

You may have to experiment a little on which ports work best for hose routing.

Ah... so I do need to use a small adjustable wrench? I live in Norway so my technical english is not very good. That was just what I was thinking about, a small adjustable wrench, don't you call that a monkey wrench? :06: Or monkey wrench is probably what you call the big wrenches that plummers use?

Anyway, I think I'll have a shot at this and just let the LDS take a look at it before my first dive with it.

Herpel:
Hmmm... Don't you call it monkey wrench in english? :06: The tool you use to fasten nuts and bolts.
There are -lots- of tools to fasten a nut to a bolt. In this instance a monkey wrench would not be the one I would choose. Use a fixed size wrench to tighten the hose after finger tightening. Don't use a ratchet as you can easily apply too much torque and any sort of textured face on an adjustable wrench will mess up the nut.

Herpel:
If you don't understand me, just tell me how you guys do it, please. As I said, I would rather learn by doing than looking. But I understand it's best to take everything to a diveshop to set it up.
I understand what you are saying. I do it by bringing my gear to a dive shop. In this case, learning by doing can kill you or blow up your gear. Do what you like but those are my thoughts.

How do you attach them?

Very Carefully.

You bought a dry suit for your first exposure suit???

Talk about jumping in with both feet. Anyone else ever seen one blow out?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom