preparing for fundies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pengwe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to take the DIR-F class in about 6 weeks, or else in 10. What kinds of things can I do to prepare so that I will get the most out of the class?

I don't have any of the gear, but the shop said they could provide it. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to at least try a dive with BP/W before the course. I normally dive with jacket BC, short hoses, average PADI OW set-up. I have access to a back-inflate BC - would that be similar to BP/W?

Any other suggestions, for anything?

pengwe:
I'm going to take the DIR-F class in about 6 weeks, or else in 10. What kinds of things can I do to prepare so that I will get the most out of the class?

I don't have any of the gear, but the shop said they could provide it. I'm thinking it might be a good idea to at least try a dive with BP/W before the course. I normally dive with jacket BC, short hoses, average PADI OW set-up. I have access to a back-inflate BC - would that be similar to BP/W?

My advise would to get at least 10 dives with a backplate and longhose done. Just to get comfortable with them. If this involves buying them, contact your instructor for some advice first.
And the best preparation for DIR-F: be openminded and get a few good nights sleep. The course is very intensive. Do not try to train some of the skills before the course. You cannot train something you still have to learn.

And do not forget to have fun!

I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. What I found from my course is that I don't think there is much you can do to prepare in the space of a few weeks. I had dived doubt (independent) 75s on a couple of occassions, and had never used a canister light. The week before fundies I banded my 100s, got a plate and wing, and went for two 10m dives to get comfortable. The pool session was the first time I'd used manifolded doubles or the can light. At the end of the course, I received a tech pass.

One of the others on the course was a somewhat experienced cave diver, who had been diving BP/W and manifolded 100s for some time. He still needed some practice and will likely go back for a re-evaluation.

It really comes down to how comfortable you are in the water, and how well you can adjust to changes, and how well you can task load. And that stuff only comes from a lot of hours underwater.

If you can get hold of the gear before hand it would be beneficial, especially getting at least one dive in with doubles. But most of your focus in the water is about the skills and taskloading. Reinoud is 100% correct - do not try and practice the skills - you haven't been taught them, so you'll likely be practicing incorrectly. Instead, make sure you are comfortable with some of the basics, regardless of what equipment you are currenty using:

* You can maintain relatively buoyancy (neutrally buoyant in a 6-8ft pool)
* You can maintain relatively good horizontal trim
* You can reach your tank valve (touch between your shoulder blades) with both hands
* You can do a mask removal/replacement easily
* You can maintain composure if things go wrong. (Just little things - hose gets tangled while sharing air, you forget to clip off a reg, etc)

If you can put a tick next to all of those, regardless of your current configuration, I would say that you're comfortable enough in the water that changes in your equipment will not impact significantly on your diving ability, and although your diving will still look like a dogs breakfast compared to your GUE instructor, you should either get a tech pass or very close to.

Don't stress too much about it, and as long as you are comfortable and confident, that will come out in your diving.

And I'll also second Reinoud's other point about getting rest. Don't know what your course format is, but mine was Wed-Fri evenings 6pm-10pm, then Sat,Sun 9am-6pm. On Sunday evening I was out like a light, and on Monday morning muscles stiff and aching!

pengwe:

Any other suggestions, for anything?
Oh boy, does this sound familiar. I took GUE DIR F two weekends ago and, ahem, um, to understate it, didnt fair so well. Like you, the BP/W - DIR gear configuration was new and that contributed to my demise; although, it certainly wasnt the sole reason for my discord.
First, and this is firsthand experience typing here, get ALL your gear ASAP, again ASAP. Secondly, get in at least 15-20 hours underwater time practicing basic skills.
What are the basic skills you ask? Oh boy, we are alike. You MUST, that is MUST practice buoyancy and trim. Without the ability to be stable in the water column, you simply will not be able to do the other skills.
IF you think you have your buoyancy and trim skills down (you wont but if you 'think' you do) go back and practice buoyancy and trim again. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to master that one skill.
Again, if you 'think' you have buoyancy and trim down pat, then try doing some multitasking. While maintaining your horizontal pose of stability, try removing and replacing your mask without going up or down more than a couple of feet.
Ah heck, I could go on, but the main thing is, get used to your gear, practice buoyancy and trim (have I said that before?). Get used to the new rig.
Lastly, just before class, get some rest because the course is 3 intense demanding days requiring full concentration.
Have fun, this will be a great experience.

Prepare to have fun!!! :)

I agree with the part with regards on getting used to equipment setups, BP+Wing and the DIR reg setup. This will allow you to focus on the skills during your fundies rather than having to worry about the unfamiliar gear setup. Try to get as comfortable in them as possible.

As for the skill, my perspective is probably leave it for the instructor to teach you the appropriate way to do them. Just make sure you go to the class with open-mind.

Hope you will enjoy your class as much as I did.

I echo the advice to try to get hold of the equipment in which you are going to take the class as soon as you can. Every equipment change throws a diver a little off; there is no point in making your life any more difficult in class than it needs to be.

Don't play with the kicks. It's extremely easy to do them wrong, and you build muscle memory of the wrong skill. But you can easily practice hovering, and work on correct weighting and weight distribution. If you can't hover pretty still, try to figure out why. If you tilt feet down or head down when you don't fin, it tells you you need to work on body posture or possibly move some weight up or down your body. If you can hover, you can do simple stuff like regulator remove and replace, regulator exchange, and mask flood and clear while hovering, and see what it does to your buoyancy and trim. This is what I did before Fundies, and the Basic 5 were about the only thing I did nicely in the class!

Above all, don't stress out too much. You're going to be shown new skills, and asked for a FAR higher standard of performance than you've likely had to meet before, and we all struggle with it. But you come out knowing how things CAN be done, and knowing how to practice correctly, and after some practice dives, you begin to see your skills underwater really coming together, and it's so much fun.

pengwe:
What kinds of things can I do to prepare so that I will get the most out of the class?

Some great answers so far. I would definitely dive in a BP as many times as you can before the class. Also, if you can, try to dive with some local DIR divers (not sure where you are located). Practice trim and getting your buoyancy down as much as possible. Getting familiar with the gear and getting as much practice as you can with your trim and buoyance will allow you to devote more "mental energy" to all the other great new things your instructor will be teaching you.
Have fun!

A question to the GUE crew.

In fundies are you required to doff and don horizontally whilst maintaining neutral buoyancy?

Having recently taken fundies, I would suggest not stressing too much about mastering the skills going into the class. I would recommend against trying to learn anything new (such as kicks, etc...) before the class (after all, you are taking the class to learn something, right?) as you may potentially learn things wrong anyway. It wouldn't be a bad idea to practice buoyancy especially with ascents and descents (e.g. holding stops every 10ft up and down), but I would stay away from kicks or anything like that. I was informally shown the valve drill and practiced it, but it changed before I took the class. Also, note, that there are minor differences in some of the skills between what I was taught in fundies and what you may see in videos or on the internet depending on the source and/or vintage.

I would recommend getting lots of sleep and hydration, and don't plan on getting anything meaningful done at work for a few days afterwards while you "decompress" :D

And come back and post a class report.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom