preparation for ccr training

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bwh6

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi, I'm interested in moving from OC to CC diving, and am wondering what level of experience and training is appropriate for this switch.

I currently have about 90 dives, all recreational, and feel very happy with my buddy skills, gas management habits, and general comfort underwater. My training includes PADI AOW and SSI Nitrox (no rescue diver or decompression training, though).

The unit I'm leaning towards is the PRISM Topaz. From the training page at http://www.steammachines.com/04PrismTraining.asp, I believe I meet the prerequisites, though it is unclear whether a Nitrox or advanced Nitrox certification is required. Does the latter introduce new OW skills? Thanks.

I highly recommend reading Jeff Bozanic's book - I believe tis called 'Understanding Rebreathers' or perhaps, Mastering.. Eitherway - its a good place to start.

Your level of Nitrox certification will limit you to the specific mix your going to be able to aquire. Since your working in an entirely closed circuit the only thing your taking out is the Oxygen, so you would need to be able to get ahold of 100% O2 - which means Adv. Nirox certification. If you were to introduce 40% I imagine the electronics would have a much harder time trying to maintain a constant PO2.

netmage:
I highly recommend reading Jeff Bozanic's book - I believe tis called 'Understanding Rebreathers' or perhaps, Mastering.. Eitherway - its a good place to start.

Your level of Nitrox certification will limit you to the specific mix your going to be able to aquire. Since your working in an entirely closed circuit the only thing your taking out is the Oxygen, so you would need to be able to get ahold of 100% O2 - which means Adv. Nirox certification. If you were to introduce 40% I imagine the electronics would have a much harder time trying to maintain a constant PO2.

Yep, I've already been through Bozanic's book. I found it extremely helpful for the CCR theory, but somewhat too general for much use beyond that. Are the gas certifications always taught separately from the rebreather certifications?

The different agencies have slightly different prerequisites for CCR courses.
Prism certification is currently available through NAUI and IANTD. Both agencies require Nitrox certification because you need to understand elevated pO2s, OTU limits etc..

For a NAUI course basic Nitrox certification like the one you have will do (I have ANDI's CSU for two Nitrox mixes up to 50%, no deco). Everything else, including specifics regarding pure O2 handling and use are part of the CCR user course. Actually, pretty much all material from the Nitrox class gets a review to make sure you're up to speed. Jeff's book, by the way, is used as the textbook in that course.

AFAK IANTD requires the Advanced Nirtox certification for CCR training, though I'm sure the material also gets a review in that class.

Also, both agencies offer Nitrox/CCR combos for those that don't have Nitrox training already.

Another lecture I can recommend is Richard Pyle's Learner's Guide to Rebreathers .

I like your choice of equipment. :wink:
Where are you located?

Stefan

Great, thanks for the help! Do you know if there's much difference in content between the courses offered by NAUI and IANTD?

Right now I'm up in Seattle, but I'll be going down to the bay area to start school next month (should have plenty of time for diving in Monterey and southern California, though).

IANTD has its own textbook for CCRs that they use in combination with the respective manuals, much like NAUI uses Jeff's book and the units manuals.
I flipped and read through parts of it a couple of years back, and as far as I remember covers about the same subjects. When I did the ANDI CSU class I picked up one of the Inspiration class manuals just for the heck of it, pretty much the same thing.

Jeff B. as well as some of the other Prism instructors certify through either agency, so I doubt there is much difference between them. At least not in the diving skills part of the class, probably not in the basic part either.
NAUI uses RGBM tables, IANTD VPM tables I believe. That sort of thing.

Grant Graves in Malibu does a lot of Prism training and is an instructor with both agencies, he'll be able to answer any agency specific questions. You can contact him through SMI website. Or contact SMI directly, they're always helpfull.

If you are planning on doing any "deep diving" (past 120 feet for me), then I highly recommend a trimix course as well. I did mine as an add on to the IANTD CCR course.

Regular trimix training needs to be re-learned (as do most diving skills) when moving to CCR.

Your choice of equipment is a good one. I just received my KISS kit and am assembling it this next two weeks and then more training for it. It seems CCR training nevers stops.

I'm interested in trimix diving (a major reason I'm not considering a constant mass SCR), but I'm going to take it very slowly in getting to that point. I like to focus on one set of skills at a time when gaining experience outside of training, and compounding regular CCR skills with trimix CCR skills seems like too much (especially since I don't have any OC trimix experience). I'd rather take the trimix course when I'm really ready for it, than getting the certification at the outset and potentially going too deep too fast while building up experience.

I agree with you. Too many skills at one time can and will lead to overload and tha is always a receipe for disaster.
I have many OC trimix dives as well as ACR and CCR dives, I am just now adding trimix to the CCR learning curve.
As you will find, CCR is a new skill set, and for some a difficult one to master. Use your head and never, never forget PPO2.
Welcome to the wonderful world of silent diving (us not the creatures).

Mike, I am looking at getting a KISS CCR, are you in the seattle area? if so i would love to see the unit, and maybe get some tips from you.

Diver Mike:
I agree with you. Too many skills at one time can and will lead to overload and tha is always a receipe for disaster.
I have many OC trimix dives as well as ACR and CCR dives, I am just now adding trimix to the CCR learning curve.
As you will find, CCR is a new skill set, and for some a difficult one to master. Use your head and never, never forget PPO2.
Welcome to the wonderful world of silent diving (us not the creatures).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom