Preliminary Report from Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Power is still off in Cozumel so it may be hard to get good info from your usual sources for a while. The damage was not bad, mostly trees limbs, power poles etc. Perhaps the speedy passage helped. All of our boats are fine, as are most others that we know of. My Villa Aldora on the waterfront had no damage whatsoever because there was no surge at all. We are putting our boats in the water and will be diving tomorrow.

This is not too unexpected as the last hurricane to directly hit in 1995, Roxanne, made us lose only 3 days of diving. That one was a 135 mph class 4 and the eye went right over the town square. This one seems to be of less consequence. I will be posting more reports on my web site, www.aldora.com as soon as reliable info is gathered.

I will try to answer any specific requests for info that I can.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

dillehay:
Power is still off in Cozumel so it may be hard to get good info from your usual sources for a while. The damage was not bad, mostly trees limbs, power poles etc. Perhaps the speedy passage helped. All of our boats are fine, as are most others that we know of. My Villa Aldora on the waterfront had no damage whatsoever because there was no surge at all. We are putting our boats in the water and will be diving tomorrow.

This is not too unexpected as the last hurricane to directly hit in 1995, Roxanne, made us lose only 3 days of diving. That one was a 135 mph class 4 and the eye went right over the town square. This one seems to be of less consequence. I will be posting more reports on my web site, www.aldora.com as soon as reliable info is gathered.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Thanks for the update. Good to hear that things seem to be good. I'm going to be down there in 2 weeks for my first time. I can't wait :p

Nali

dillehay:

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Hi Dave,
I am so glad all your boats and Villa Aldora did well!!!!
Diving tomorrow - AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

Last year when I was diving with SCC, they told us a story about a hurricane that effected Coz, might have been Gilbert. Anyway, they said for a few weeks, crews were bringing divers in to dive for free to go down and remove sand off of the reefs. Is there any chance of that maybe needing to be done again? I am not trying to get free dives, I am just curious about the extent of everything. I am glad to hear your fleet is survived.

Welcome to Scubaboard Dave. Glad Aldora came through okay. I have been telling Memo and Bill LaRosa for years that it would be nice for Aldora to have a precense on this Board.

diverbob:
Last year when I was diving with SCC, they told us a story about a hurricane that effected Coz, might have been Gilbert. Anyway, they said for a few weeks, crews were bringing divers in to dive for free to go down and remove sand off of the reefs. Is there any chance of that maybe needing to be done again? I am not trying to get free dives, I am just curious about the extent of everything. I am glad to hear your fleet is survived.
Not sure about that yet - since Dave will have divers in the water today - he will be able to share with us that kind of damge.
ANYTIME a diver sees a large, heavy depsoit of sand on the coral, if they can wave thier hand back and forth several inches above it, so a rush of water is created and moves the sand off, it is a good thing. Sand chokes coral if in heavy quantities. NEVER attempt at brushing the sand off with your hands!!!!!! Let the water take it away ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since we did not have bad storm surge - I am hoping this will not be such an issue.

Hi Dave, Glad to see you on here. We will be at the Villa in 3 weeks so glad that there was no damage. Hope to see you there. Kathy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom