• Low volume

Votes: 16 69.6%
  • Absolute minimal volume

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Full face/hardhat (why not)

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

northernone

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Admist the marketing blur and strong opinions on all sides: What mask volume characteristics do you prefer?

I went from my preferred ovel high volume black rubber to a low volume clear silicone freediving mask today. Dramatically different underwater experiences.

Namely, could see beside me, read my computer through the skirt, clear with a tiny puff and tuck my face under my arm for looking at my own .. fins... without jamming my mask, also, the seal was temperamental, a tiny amount of water was annoying, my tunnel vision focus was gone, water pooled in my nose, fog rinse swish doesn't work with separate lenses, thetannoying annoying plastic bar in the middle of my vision, fun house lens tilting and felt like a toy on my face.

When both fit, which do you prefer? Be it nostalgia, flood tolerance, seal, eyelash issues, wide field of view, clarity, durability, ease of clearing or the plethora of other reasons we all have on this personal preference.

Last edited:
Try another mask. I absolutely low my super low volume (black skirted) freedive mask for scuba and freediving. The advantages of low volume are modest for scuba compared to freediving, but the increased peripheral vision is a big deal for me. However, if the mask is uncomfortable or leaks or provides visual distortion, then those are unacceptable failures.

A low volume freedive mask used by spearfisherman needs to be free of optical distortion or their shots would be off.

Low for sure, easier to clear when necessary. I use an Atomic Frameless in medium, it's the only mask that had ever fitted my abnormally narrow, small face. It's very low volume and clears effortlessly.

There can be only one and it is the Atomic Frameless.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom