Preferred DIR Bottom timer choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajohn921

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So the preferred DIR fin choice are the jet fins, what is the most popular/preferred bottom timer used in DIR configs, and if you were to purchase one today which would you go for?

scubajohn921:
what is the most popular/preferred bottom timer used in DIR configs, and if you were to purchase one today which would you go for?

The Uwatec Digital Depth Gauge is still the "gold standard" for bottom timers. I've been using one for years and have never found a reason to replace it - relatively inexpensive, simple operation, sealed unit, long battery life. There's not much to go wrong there.

scubajohn921:
So the preferred DIR fin choice are the jet fins, what is the most popular/preferred bottom timer used in DIR configs, and if you were to purchase one today which would you go for?

I dive with a DiveRite digital bottom timer as my primary and a ScubaPro Tec 2g computer (in guage mode) as a backup. The DiveRite is an oil-filled factory sealed unit with no battery compartment to flood, which significantly reduces the risk of failure. The Tec 2g is a luxury and unnecessary as a mere backup bottom timer. However, I use it for more than that. It provides me with (1) a resettable "split time" stop watch for timing ascent rate and decompression stops and (2) a resettable average depth display, which is extremely useful in monitoring my actual dive profile's fit with the decompression obligation I planned for. I fortunately dive with a team that uses the same instruments.

That said I don't believe there is a "DIR preferred" bottom timer. It's just what me and my team mates decided to go with based on experience.

The DiveRite and the Uwatec are the same. Both made by Uwatec.

Dave

I have an older version of the Aladin Tech. Also a Suunto Vyper in gauge mode. (Not at the same time.) I do have a backup Casio watch though.

The Vyper has larger digits than the Uwatec bottom timer and profile download capability. It may not be a "gold standard" but its also widely used successfully. I'd buy one again.

The Aladins (both Tech and 2g) have had reliability/breakage issues. I'd wait to buy one again. The only plus is depth averaging and resetable stopwatch.

rjack321:
The Aladins (both Tech and 2g) have had reliability/breakage issues. I'd wait to buy one again. The only plus is depth averaging and resetable stopwatch.

I pre-ordered my aladin tec before they came out. It was a buggy POS. I finally broke it after about 4 months of use, Scuba Pro replaced it and it's functioned much better and I have yet to break it. :D

I use mine in gauge mode and the only real benefits it has over an uwatec bottom timer is it displays seconds, average depth, and downloadable profiles. Those are fluff items though. :)

I broke my first one on dive #1 of Cave1 class. Not good.

I used Chris LM's for the remainder of that day. Then I used an old old Genesis air hockey puck for the rest of the week. Despite being an air computer with no gauge mode I never bent it. :wink: It fit into my DSS mount just fine.

Lesiure pro replaced it. The 2nd one hasn't failed (yet). My Vyper is 6 YO, 300 dives, and I have replaced the battery once - now that's reliable!

Newb alert!! /disclosure

I like the uwatec bottom timer for simplicity and value.

I like the Suunto Vyper for gauge mode and downloadable profiles. Very pricey though.

I like the Tech2G because I hear that it lets you do depth averaging and has a second timer. (My Vyper might have a timer also but I'll be darned if if I could figure out how to use it.) These things are super pricey also but if you had money burning a hole in your pocket...

rjack321:

The 2g was Uwatec's response to the Tech's product quality issues which Uwatec took off the market. The 2g hasn't been on the market long enough to have "reliabilty/breakage" issues. It is rumored (and perhaps some one more connected with GUE than me can confirm this) that David Rhea prevailed upon Uwatec to add the depth averaging and resetable stop watch features to the guage mode as a DIR concession.

I also have a Suunto D9 computer. While it has some fluff features (and I have no complaints about it from a reliability standpoint), it's display is much smaller and its 4-button operations are more difficult to execute with gloved hands than the 2g's 2-button operations (with the two buttons on the display face; not on the sides like the Suunto line of computers).

I've had very bad luck with my Aladin TECs as well. From my limited experience, after around 60 dives, something goes. My second one have just died so I'm waiting to see if the TEC2G replacement will be any better.

I liked the TEC/TEC2G because it is compatible with my Mac.

Anyway, as others have mentioned, you can't go wrong with the UWATEC Digital Depth Gauge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom