Predator OC five gas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndude

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Which of the Predators are five gas OC capable?

Lookin at your site it looks like three of the four OC units available are set for a fixed PO2?

All of the Predators support 5 OC gasses. The CC computers support 5 OC and 5 CC.

I'm not sure what page you were looking at, but this page shows the computers with only one of them set to fixed PPO2.

Shearwater Research - Dive Computers

There are two hardware platforms. One has a Fischer connector and the other doesn't. The computer without the Fischer connector comes standard with OC trimix. It can be unlocked to OC/CC. In that case the setpoint for CC would be fixed.

The computer with the Fischer connector also comes standard with OC trimix. It can also be unlocked to OC/CC. But it will then support fixed setpoint for CC or it will read 1 or three O2 sensors.

Bruce

Bruce:

I was comparing the PROCT-SA to the PROT. Both have: " Open Circuit / Closed Circuit with fixed P02 only " typed under the details on your site- the PROCTE had the five mix details from the PURSUIT.

Which in your opinion would be a better choice for a diver primarily diving OC/MIX? In time as rebreathers evolve I may go OC/CC.

Bruce:

I was comparing the PROCT-SA to the PROT. Both have: " Open Circuit / Closed Circuit with fixed P02 only " typed under the details on your site- the PROCTE had the five mix details from the PURSUIT.

Which in your opinion would be a better choice for a diver primarily diving OC/MIX? In time as rebreathers evolve I may go OC/CC.

"fixed P02 only" Only refers to the fact that you aren't able to read the sensor cells with those verions, when using CC mode. They will do OC normally, as you would expect.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
The PROCT-SA doesn't have the Fischer connector. It is the same computer, and gives you a PO2 setpoint, so you can use it as a CCR computer, but doesn't let you hook it into your rebreather to be connected to the O2 sensors via the Fischer connector.

So - as sunkmail said, the PROCT-SA is all you'll need (unless you want to integrate your CCR to your Shearwater for 3 cell real time monitoring).

Actually... You should get the PROT-SA - as an Open Circuit computer and when you're ready to go to CCR, you just pay for an unlock code to upgrade your existing computer to the PROCT version.

Thanks for all the help.

As I understand what your saying is that the PROCT-SA can be upgraded to a PROCT with a unlock code at a later date?

The PROT-SA (Nitrox/Trimix) can be upgraded to the PROCT-SA. (Nitrox/Trimix/Constant PO2 for CCR)

The SA is for Stand Alone - meaning - it won't be able to connect to a rebreather with the Fischer connector.

Thanks Howard, I'm with you now that the "SA" identifier makes sence.

Back
Top Bottom