Pre-weekend visibility report 04-30... it's really good!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, the last time I was on it there was more intact structure than the rest of the Indian Shores Reef sites.

But it's been a few years, but still should be good.

Just heard a report that 85 feet was ok but not great vis. off St Pete on the Pipe line.

Have a feeling 45 to 60 will be better.

I'll be up off Tarpon tomorrow with private students on their boat.

I'll report back ASAP.

Chad

Yeah, the last time I was on it there was more intact structure than the rest of the Indian Shores Reef sites.

But it's been a few years, but still should be good.

Just heard a report that 85 feet was ok but not great vis. off St Pete on the Pipe line.

Have a feeling 45 to 60 will be better.

I'll be up off Tarpon tomorrow with private students on their boat.

I'll report back ASAP.

Chad

Cool,

Let me know.. I love the bottom off of Tarpon.. Hundreds and Hundreds of ledges.

Wish my charter boat was up there. For every ledge I have off of Clw I have a hundred off of Tarpon. Way better bottom which is why they can sponge up there.

IF ONLY people knew how good it is.

Taking my wife up there for the Lobster Mini season to hit my old lobster spots. Plan to spend 3 days off shore diving and enjoying the water. HATE being on land.

Let me know the Vis report

Capt. Mike

Did a Charter running North West out of Clw Pass today with 12 divers on board. 45 to 50 feet. Like last week saw even MORE bait fish... Makes me VERY happy.. Big fish to follow.
Flat Calm seas Today.... Wonderful... !!!!NO Matter what!

Did the Vet Airplane Barge and Mast Head Ledge. Last week vis about 40 feet plus. This week about 35 feet because of the Wind from the West Friday and the STRONG Moon tides.

GREAT NEWS... last week temp was 75... This week 79.... Yea!!!

Have 12 more divers booked for Sunday A.M. .

Sucks being Captain... The Captain is NOT allowed to leave the boat...MUST stay on the boat at all times....!!

SO... After my morning trip if it is half as good weather as today I am running BACK OUT... and plan to dive to sunset..

Sucks being the Bus driver.... So close... But so far...

use to do 15 to 20 dives every week.. Became a Instructor many years ago and then no more diving..(maybe 4 a week.. BIG DEAL!) Became a Captain and even less diving.....!

Plan to maybe run South Sunday.. Will let you know vis and temp and FISH!

Safe diving!

Capt. Mike

WOW,

What a GREAT weekend to dive. Out near the Vet Reef again. Vis last week was top to bottom and 40 foot side to side. This week with the Strong Moon tides vis was about 35 during the A.M. trips.

We lucked out with almost zero current during the Charter trips.

After our last charter trip Sunday my wife and I ran out so I could get my gills wet to Rube Allen.

(Captains are NOT allowed to dive during a charter)

Saw bait for the first time last week and EVEN MORE bait this weekend with stuff working it. I was hoping that big fish would have moved into the Rube. When we anchored saw something Big and Dark chasing bait.. Thought it was a dolphin but did not see it again.

I was also looking for anchors that the silly fisherman leave behind trying to fish there. My wife found me a brand new one with chain.

The Current picked up BIG time when we went in. HAD WE HAD THAT SAME CURRENT non of the divers I had on the boat the entire weekend would of been able to make it to the anchor line. YOU could ski behind the anchored boat. We were just so glad we did NOT have to deal with new divers trying to get down in that current.

The good news is lots of FISH on the RUBE. Even saw Yellow tail snapper. For 30 years you never saw one of them inshore here. A few small AJ in the 20 to 25 pound range. Lots of bait, several GG. OH, and my new Dive buddy, a Beautiful and large Female Sand Bar shark... She had a large school of blue runner swiming with her for protection.

Wish I had my video camera with me. With each pass she kept getting closer and closer to she was finally only a arm lenght away... IT was Great... JUST sucked I did not have my video camera.

I did see a PROTUGUESE MAN-OF WAR!! on the way in. I use to see a lot of them in the 60's and very few since then. I think only 2 or 3 the past 30 years or more. For those that do not know... They kind of hurt really bad if they get you... NOT Like the friendly Moon jellies.

Just keep a eye out. VERY slim chance you will see one.

The good news is I only saw one. Not like the Thousands and Thousands of Stinging Cauliflower Jellies we had a few years ago.

Water Temp was 79 every where we went this weekend.

IF you did not dive this weekend you missed a killer sea,,, Flat calm and pretty.

(still had a kid throw up non stop for the entire 6 hour trip and again when we hit land!!!)

Have yet to have a trip where someone was not sea sick!!

Ran a Charter Trip Wed the 13th. Great Day to go diving. Those Lucky enough to make the trip had a good time. A little chop in the A.M. but it all laid down by noon time. Water temp still 79 and still some sea snot in the water. Vis still about 35 feet. Had a baby turtle follow one of my divers around for a long time. Will post pictures later.

Have 36 divers on the Books to dive with me this weekend but the weather is NOT looking Great for this weekend. Several dive shops were already cancelled for trips on the East Coast already and are trying to book with me. IF weather will permits it looks like I will be running 4 trips this weekeknd.

This has been the worst year in over 30 years weather wise because of the weekly cold fronts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom