Pre Super Bowl Shore Dive? Anyone? 2/4/07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sloyota

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Start first thing in the morning...minimum one, maybe two dives either at the Pipe or somewhere else...

Anyone?

Also, if the kayak crew is itchy, I consider a yak dive say maybe Sea Tiger or YO, followed by a shallow dive elsewhere...

Any suggestions or takers?

Aloha

Kelii

I was planning on trying to get some of my gang together for a Saturday dive, but the conditions may not be to great. Sunday might look better. I am sending out an email to them tomorrow morning and will let you know what plans we come up with. I was going to try Lanai and blowhole Saturday, but the winds look really nasty. So, I'll see how they go for something on Sunday morning either kayak or shore.

Jay

Oooooooooooooo..

Jones-n' for a dive...don't care where, shore or yak yak...

Too bad I work Saturdays, but Sunday, I'm ALL IN!

Not a football fan, but still want to watch the game...

I await.

Right now, after polling the dive buds at work, it looks like Sunday will be good. I was thinking first choice will be a dive at Lanai lookout with a 2nd dive at Blowhole. Backup plan would be Kewalo pipe for a couple of nice long dives. Let me know what you think.

Jay

Looks like Lanai lookout it is. Here are the details. Please let me know so that we don't leave you standing if you plan on coming but are running late.

Meet at Lanai lookout 0800 Sunday. (judge conditions) if good then we go.

Finish dive and change gear over then drive 1/2 mile to Blowhole for second dive.

Backup plan, if conditions are unsafe, back to town for Kewalo pipe and Horseshoe reef shore dives.

Jay

Awesome day at Lanai Lookout. Pics and video to come. Dove both dives here today and the viz and condtions were great. The five of us (roll221, sloyota, thatsomebadhatharry, Bruce and myself) were welcomed by near flat conditions. We also watched several nice breeches and spouts offshore while preparing for the dive.

Our first dive was the first dive here for two of our group and they took the whole thing in stride (hike down). We did our giant stride and while congregating on the bottome we were visited by a 2 foot Honu with about 4-6 feet of heavy line wrapped around him and 2 hooks in him. Well, let's just say he used to have 4-6 feet of heavy line wrapped around him and 2 hooks in him.

You would think the dive couldn't get any better than that, but it did. We found a frogfish and there were so many tangs out you couldn't count them if you wanted to. The viz wasn't as good as it can get here, but it was still around 100+ and little to no current. All in all a great first dive of the day.

For our second dive we were going to enter at the exit point and swim a down towards Hanauma Bay before our turn, but on the way down we ran into VblueV coming out and he advised the current had shifted and was pushing hard Diamond Head side. Well, no problem, we turned around and headed back to the regular entry.

Second dive our first-timers were a little calmer at the entry site (now they knew what was underwater where they were jumping). This dive turned out to be great also and viz I think increased a little. The current had picked up noticibly though as we truly were able to drift portions of the dive. This time we exited through the cave and finished out another great dive.

Thanks to all that made it out. I had a great couple of dives in great company.

hey rockjock..
'sorry didn't meet up with your group at 0800..
hooked up with some neighbors who were pushing earlier [0630.. that's "o'DARK-thirty]
because i needed to finish early to work a swing-shift/watch the superbowl :wink:

but.. lookey what i found in a puka.. not one.. but TWO large tiger cowrie :biggrin3:
tcowrieX2a.jpg

and then i saw the hawksbill honu again.. i saw this same one before thanksgiving..
hawksbill12.jpg

and here's a frogfish i saw there.. not sure if this is the same one you spied.. :froggy:
(i've actually seen a bunch of frogfish at this site.. small, medium..
some bigger than a large cabbage and just as green..
some totally encrusted.. more reef than fish.. and some totally clean/yellow)
frogfish11.jpg

great dives today..
btw.. rather than just me recommending the primary entry for your second dive..
i supposed i could've also mentioned maybe continuing to enter at the exit..
and just make your turn pressure (T) 2000psi (or even 2200psi)..
[but you really didn't want to have your jet-fins in full-afterburner on the way back.. did you?]

Had fun...did say, that first giant stride in to white water was interesting. But once in and realizing that you are going into 30 plus deep off the shelf, no problem. Good spot on the frog fish on the ledge by 'harry'.

The second dive made me hungry with all them red big eyes ... :)

Mahalo for an awesome 2 dives...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom