Pre liveaboard transit hotel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GoinDivin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Good day dive buddies,

We are scheduled to go on Eco Blue in December (I'll report after). This will be our first trip to the Maldives. I have looked at all the Covid protocols in place by the MOT and info regarding transit hotels. What I don't know is location. Where do the LOB's leave from and the best area to stay in? We are looking for a moderate ($65 -100 p.n.) transit hotel for 2 nights. We don't need fancy but clean, easily accesible for a transit to the LOB and somewhat quiet. I know achohol in the Maldives is restricted but am told at some hotels they have restaurants that could serve, so after our long flights we would like to be able to wind down with a glass of wine, a rooftop area would also be a plus (not a deal breaker). So, what's the best location (Hulhumale?) and how do I get a glass of wine or two? Give me the skinny folks!

View attachment 623629 View attachment 623624 Most of LOB pick up their customers at the airport door, they send the dhoni (dive boat), which will transport you to the main boat, usually anchored north of the airport ;
you just have to cross the street to board in :

View attachment 623624

View attachment 623629

If you have to wait, you have a bunch of hotels nearby, some offering gratis transfert from/to airport, just have a look at Hulumale (it should be nice to be along the shore and not just close to the airport runway). There are nice ones, roof tops, all budgets...
The island of Male (capital) is probably not the best place to be nowadays.... you'll find guidelines here : COVID-19 LOCAL UPDATES

Having a drink (alcoholic drink, of course) in an islamic republic, ouch ! :facepalm:

Have a nice stay and great dives ! (hey, don't worry, LOB have rhum and other good things onboard)

Thanks, @Sunn all good information. Don't mean to insult anyone for having a glass of wine but I was told that there were some hotels where this was acceptable. If not we can forgo. Can not wait to dive the Maldives!

The boats leave from very very near the airport. The dhoni just pulls up just across the road from the airport and you cross the road.

The hotels in Male are not luxurious. There is one with a pool and that apparently serves alcohol where my hubby and stayed for half a day before a LOB. Rooms looked very basic and were very expensive. The hotels on the man made island are fine, very simple but clean and no booze.Check with your LOB that you are allowed to stay elsewhere,I did read that you could do a LOB or a resort but not both. Another option would be to go to a resort that is a speedboat ride from Male.We spent a few days on Bandos which was fine and would be perfect to chill out after a long flight. It probably won’t cost much more than a hotel in Male and will be way nicer.

LOB diving in the Maldives is awesome, you will love it !

We stayed at the Hulehule Island airport hotel. Hung out at the pool half the day until rooms ready. No problem getting drinks at the bar there. Very much oriented to tourists, and I don't think they care if the tourists drink. (Pretty sure some of the folks at the bar weren't tourists...)

Now if you want real bacon, probably much more challenging.

Don't mean to insult anyone for having a glass of wine but I was told that there were some hotels where this was acceptable.

lonely planet :
In resorts, the only place in Maldives where alcohol is legal, there is no shortage of opportunities to drink at any time of day, with fine wines, cocktails, beers and champagne all available, although at significant cost

Not at a hotel in Hulhumale, but at the Hulhule Island Hotel which is on the airport island - not on Hulhumale. Hulhumale is sort of another island but you can drive to it. Hulhule Island Hotel is a bit of a world of it's own and an exception (the exception?) to the rule. There are lots of hotels over on Hulhumale, but I don't know if any of them serve alcohol. (I imagine these similar names have a perfectly logical meaning to a Maldivian...)

For the uninitiated, "inhabited" means inhabited by locals. "Resort" island is obviously not what most would call uninhabited, but there's no locals living there except resort staff (many of whom apparently aren't Maldivian anyway.)

Thanks for the details, @Damselfish. That fits into the overall picture.
Yes, "inhabited" means island with locals leaving there, the ones that opened for tourism some years ago.
And i am assuming that Hulhumale (new Island) is a local island with no alcohol but i am missing sources and the few hotels i looked at are not explicit on that topic.

There are some resorts that serve drinks but they aren't in your price range.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom