pre-dive light setup/arrangement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I did a little searching on the boards and didn't find an exact answer so I am posting this question:

I recently bought a set of dive lights (UK Propak) and went on my first night dive for lobsters. It was definitely interesting having extra "attachments" to my BC or myself which included two lights, lobster bag, new dive knife, and a lobster measurer. (As a side note, the lobster bag which was clipped to the left side of my BC became a nuisance while reaching for my dive computer once in awhile)

I was curious as to what your setup is in terms of where you attach you lights (primary and secondary) whether it be to your wrist/arm or a specific accessory connecting it to your BC, etc. I initially had my primary light (a Shockwave II... long story, but lost the Sunlight C8.. argh) attached to a lanyard seen at http://www.uwkinetics.com/ProductDisplay_prmenbr=91&prrfnbr=5153.htm which was around my wrist.. that didn't seem very secure even when tightened. After some thought, probably doubling the lanyard around my wrist would've helped quite a bit.

Later, I went out and bought one of those attachment accessories which clips to the BC and can "extend" the other end along a curly bungee-cord-like line when the two ends aren't quick-clipped together. (They also have something like this with a magnetic attachment instead of a quick-clip) I'll have to try this accessory the next time around... having a primary light strapped to my wrist got to be annoying every once in awhile. Anyone have any favorites for attachment accessories for their primary lights?

As for the backup mini-Q40, it has the option of attaching to my mask so I experimented with that with average results. Do most people keep their backup light on a lanyard around their wrist or in a BC pocket?

Thanks for your responses. I sure felt like a Christmas tree with lots of ornaments while taking my giant stride...

My primary light is small and not very heavy, so I use a wrist lanyard. I would prefer to be able to change hands occasionally, but overall it's the neatest solution I've found. I used to have the torch attached to my BC, but stuff got tangled in the lanyard (occasionally important stuff, such as my regulator). At least the wrist lanyard is short.

I have my backup light in my pocket. I can't see my pockets even in the daytime, so I'm used to getting things out by feel. Plus I have a dive buddy with a light if I need help.

I have a marker light attached to my yoke so my buddy can find me even if my main light has gone out.

Z

PS: If your wrist lanyard isn't secure, maybe you need to trim the rubber tubing. I have skinny wrists and needed to cut about an inch off the tubing to make it fit snugly.

My backup light is a UK 300 with the clip removed and a bolt snap attached to the end. It is bolt snapped to the D-ring on my right shoulder strap and the business end of the light is held against the strap by being shoved inside a loop of surgical tubing around the shoulder strap. (You can also use bungee cord or a piece of bicycle inner tube.) It's a fairly old hogarthian technique but one that still works to keep the backup light streamlined but secure and accessible. It also rides in this position during the day for use a day light.

My primary is either:

A handheld Ikelite Modular H lite light attached by a lanyard to my wrist.

Or, on more challenging or light intensive dives, an OMS Phantom attached to the perimeter holes on the left side of my backplate with the cord and light head routed over the shoulder and down the right arm where it is held with a goodman handle. It is not exactly DIR but it keeps things tucked away and is very streamlined.

I also sometimes have a UK mini Q-40 in a pocket on the waist belt as a back up to the backup. Although for more a more serious redundant backup light another UK 300, Saberlite, or similar 3 C cell design can be rigged on the left shoulder strap.

I have never been a fan of diving with anyone who mounts the Q-40 on the mask as it inevitably gets shined directly in my eyes.

Melancholy7777,

I use 3 lights. Mounted on my Zeagal 911 BC One is a small "pen light" I got out of a firber optics repair kit...don't ask how I got it...has 2 triple A battries. I clip this to the RT handside of my BC on the upper D-ring. My primary light is the UK 100 Light Cannon HID. I clip this to my upper LT handside D-ring with the "Aqua Quick Release Coil Lanyard" It has a 1-inch quick clip in the middle to keep the coil from extending the 2-3 feet. Clipped closed is about 4 inches. I ordered on-line.

Back up light is the UK Q-40 that can be mask mounted to provide you light right where you are looking hands free. Just be careful if you mount it this way that you don't "shine" your buddy in the face as you look at them. If you do mount this Q-40 on your mask, and look at your buddy, remeber to turn your head just enough to get the light to the LT or RT of their head using your eye-balls to do the actual "looking". Keep this one in your BC pocket or wherever is handy w/o getting in the way.

To keep all this stuff from getting tangled, I keep the pen light on a SS car key ring with SS clip, I use this light when night diving when my other lights are off so as not to "spoil" my night vision while checking my SPG, computer, compass etc. Keeping my finger over the lens I allow only what light I need to check my gauges then twist the light back in the off position.

I use a Gear Keeper Scuba Console Locking Retractor for my console clipped to the lower LT handside of my BC. It keeps the console close and free from tangles with main light and dragging on the bottom. The retractor extends on a cord so I can bring it up to my face to check things out or use my compass to get a reading then drops right back down close and tight to my lower LT. "front pocket" if you will.

I use a nylon mesh "laundry bag" w/ drawstring closeing pull string. I have a large oversized SS or brass metal clothes pin threaded through the holes in the mesh to change the size of the bag to fit whatever I am carrying. The clothes pin can also double as the attachment method of the bag without having to tie or untie the actual opening. Once whatever is inside the bag pull the draw string and then use the clothes pin to change the size and attach to BC to keep things from getting tangled/caught on the bottom. Bag and pin stay in my BC pocket until needed, all the size of a baseball.

PM me is you can't find a clothes pin I am talking about...metal about 3 inches in length.

Hope this helps have fun,

Missileman

FYI:
Regarding the quick release coil lanyard, I recently purchased the CRL15 model by Cetacea found at the following link:
http://www.cetaceacorp.com/cgi-bin/...seen=10&category=coil_lanyards&store=products

I'm planning on using this to attach my primary light to a D-ring on the left side of BC. Do these attachments look pretty sturdy? I was only able to find this specific model at my local Sports Chalet so I couldn't get a model that seemed stronger and more designed for larger lights...

As far as the mini-Q40 went, the first thing I did notice was that it would be quite annoying if someone had shined it in my eyes so I did try to avoid turning my head completely towards someone's mask at all times. I tried to turn it off at times when it wasn't needed and other times, I would just cover up the light temporarily with my right hand when I wanted a little more darkness. One somewhat interesting twist that could've been a problem was that with a mask light and a handheld light both used at the same time, it sometimes looks like there is another diver in the group, especially to someone whose back is towards you. Even though we stayed pretty tight, we weren't always side by side but sometimes single file and so I could either look for the rear-adjacent diver's light shining on a target in front of me or just sneak a peek back to look for bubbles, marker light, actual diver, etc.

I have a Q40 and used it once attached to my mask, but found that it lit up the side of my mask, making me think someone was right behind me, so have never used on the mask again and it resides in a BC pocket. I use a SL4 as my backup light and a Light Cannon as primary. I switch between using the wrist lanyard (night dives) and a quick release coil lanyard (low vis light may or may not be needed).

The SL4 goes in a BC pocket and is easy to deploy. On my last night dive the Light Cannon went out as soon as I hit the water (loose bulb), so I switched to my SL4 and still had the Q40 as backup.

Depending on where you are diving may also dictate what type of lights/clips should be used. In an open water environment, having things dangling is most probably fine, but in an environment where things can get snagged, you may not want to have anything dangling around.

I use the CRL 15 style to attach my UK 100 Light Cannon. I would to have like to have gotten the CRL 12 style due to it being made with SS clip. I don't have any grips about the one I have, it is not the same brand name but looks like essentially the same thing. BTW the company's web page you have posted should carry those retractable style gear keepers as well. I only used the names of the ones I used as an example. I have see the gear keeper and lanyard's from the company your looking at on my buddy's BC and he has no gripes about them...

Missileman

I use either an SL4 or SL6 by Underwater Kinetics as my primary torch for nighttime. I clip it to the lower part of my BC with a locking retractable lanyard, a Princeton Tec "Gadget Gear." This way, it is close at hand for entry, but I don't have to worry about it flailing around if it were hanging off my wrist, while I put my fins on. I find that the output of the above-mentioned lights is more than adequate. I'm not looking to light up half the Red Sea. It's plenty for close up and giving me a clue what's up ahead. I've never been a fan of pistol grips, ...etc. My backup is a mini Q-40. It's a handy little light that I even sometimes use as my primary. The beam is quite bright for just 4 AA batteries. This one I have on a short wrist lanyard which I keep attached to my BC by a small velcro fastener just to the center-left side, and it conveniently tucks into the BC, so nothing is flopping about. I agree about the futility of using the mini Q40 on the mask strap, which turns it into a buddy-blinder. The same strap does cushion the light itself somewhat.

I would like to know what best to use as a night strobe. When I use my low pressure tanks and non-DIN 1st stage, I use a yoke light, which seems to work well. With my High Pressure DIN 1st stage, I use the conventional battery-powered chemstick-like flashing strobe. What do other divers prefer? I want to be visible, but without blinding anyone. Cheers.

Jeddah Aquanaut once bubbled...
[BI would like to know what best to use as a night strobe. When I use my low pressure tanks and non-DIN 1st stage, I use a yoke light, which seems to work well. With my High Pressure DIN 1st stage, I use the conventional battery-powered chemstick-like flashing strobe. What do other divers prefer? I want to be visible, but without blinding anyone. Cheers. [/B]

Not only are flashing strobes somewhat annoying to other divers, they can cause problems too. Many night dives use flashing strobes to mark down lines, it is possible that divers looking for the down line may end up following a diver with a flashing strobe. I've been on night dives where divers are not allowed to use flashing strobes as tank markers.

I use a Glo Toob which is nice and small and works well. But there are plenty of other alternatives, I see a lot of people using the Lazer Stik and TekTite lights.

I like the concept of the yoke lights too, but also use DIN.

Back
Top Bottom